Wind instruments

wooslehunter

Visit site
I sold my boat which I'd fitted with Raymarine ST60 instruments & bought another at the start of last season. The new one has a Garmin plotter, plus other N2K connected Garmin kit. The wind instrument is an older type that's stand alone & I'd like to update & connect into the N2K network.

I'm looking at 2 options: Raymarine i60 & Garmin gWind + GMI20 display. i60 is a bit more ££ but OK. I'm not considering a wireless system.

The Garmin option gives me a multi-function display. To get this from Raymarine, I'd have to go to an i70 which is a much more expensive solution one other bits are included. But, as said, I've used Raymarine before & liked it.

Anyone have any comments or other options?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have all Garmin kit, decided to go for wired as I was at the 15 meter limit of the published Bluetooth transmission range. Plugged everything in and it all worked. No arguments if you were mixing kit and there was a compatibility problem. Having Apparent and True wind is a hoot and I don't need to do sums in my head at 0300, which was never very successful.

My ancient Garmin GPSMAP 750 decided to travel back in time to 2002 midway down the North Sea in the summer, but after a software update is firmly back in 2021. A nice wee chat with the lovely man from Garmin at the Southampton Boat Show was very helpful.

jwfrary

Visit site
Stick with garmin, the raymarine should work, but sometimes the multifunction instruments don't play nicely with one another.

The analogue i60 wind should work absolutely fine, I hooked one up to a simrad network the other day and it all worked fine!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I sold my boat which I'd fitted with Raymarine ST60 instruments & bought another at the start of last season. The new one has a Garmin plotter, plus other N2K connected Garmin kit. The wind instrument is an older type that's stand alone & I'd like to update & connect into the N2K network.

I'm looking at 2 options: Raymarine i60 & Garmin gWind + GMI20 display. i60 is a bit more ££ but OK. I'm not considering a wireless system.

The Garmin option gives me a multi-function display. To get this from Raymarine, I'd have to go to an i70 which is a much more expensive solution one other bits are included. But, as said, I've used Raymarine before & liked it.

Anyone have any comments or other options?

Most definitely go for the Garmin with a GMI20 . The GMI20 is hermetically sealed, the i60 is not, they are known to steam up inside (occasionally). The i60 only shows wing, the GMI 20 will show anything on the N2k network. If the GMI20 failed out of warranty, there is the option of a refurb replacement for £126, a failed i60 will set you back the entire cost of a new one. Garmin customer support is far better.