Wind direction - dispute!

DERF

Visit site
I have been discussing wind direction with a buddy of mine and he corrected me for stating a wind was Northerly. He said you're wrong its a Southerly.

I have always quoted the wind in the direction from which it originated, so:

Blowing from N -> S is a Northerly wind...blowing fron E -> W = Easterly wind etc etc

He states that this is absolutely incorrect. The wind MUST be stated as the direction to which it is blowing and NOT from whence it came!

I disagree!

So whats the forums ruling?

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
You win /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wind is direction it comes from
SW = from the south west

Tide is direction it goes to
SW = going south west

It easy to get them confused /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Doug

fireball

Visit site
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.9118

[ QUOTE ]
Wind direction is the most commonly recorded of all weather elements in nautical logbooks, and was noted several times each day. The convention of describing wind by the direction from which it was coming (rather than the direction towards it was blowing) had been established during the sixteenth century, and persists to the present day.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fireball

Visit site
Over the back usually - just ensure there is no one in swimming at the time though ....

What about from the fly bridge ... must be able to shoot some distance from there! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

fireball

Visit site
Second only to the volume of whisky on a raggie ... and boy sometimes we need it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
And big holding tanks when you go to Belgium to store the used LEFFE Blonde /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thats a problem when the macerator packs up though /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wakeup

Visit site
You are right in the marine world, but if your mate has been involved in aviation you often see wind drawn on a navigation chart with the direction it is going along wit a number of flights added to the arrow tail ,each tail feather represents 10 knots of wind or half equals 5 knots....

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You're right of course but he might be confusing wind with tidal direction eg. west going tide is from E to W

benjenbav

Visit site
...which somehow reminds me of the oldest of old jokes:

2 men peeing over the side:

Man 1: water's cold tonight

Man 2: deep, as well