Wind and Tide - Needles Channel

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
See also the posts in 'Heavy Weather Making me Nervous'.

From personal experience, coming in through the Needles against a spring tide and with a 6/7 SW, everything the pilot says is true. Because of the shape of the channel. between the reef and the Shingles Bank, standing waves build up and these can be enhanced by the incoming waves so you can end up with 12 feet plus. I came in, with a full racing crew, in those conditions. In the troughs you seem to lose the wind, and on the crests you are in severe danger of a broach. Because the tide runs at in excess of four knots it feels like it takes for ever.

The standing waves are also there on the incoming tide, so again if the incoming sea has the right period the stading waves will get enhanced. You also get the turbulence of the water beyond the reef

In strong winds SW the answer is to use the North Channel, which is easy to find even at night. I guess you might get a window at slack water when the conditions calm down a bit.

One tip from the Yarmouth Lifeboat, if you are going out of the Solent with the tide go half way between Bridge and the Needles. This is well clear of the wreck on the reef, you have about 7 metres of water, and you avoid the problems in the Channel. If you need a way of judging this keep the old Coastguard Cottages above the top pf the Needles light.

Chris Stannard

G

The start of the Fastnet race last year was like that (Force 6 to 7 against the spring ebb). Also, because the slowest boats were started first and the fastest last, they all converged between Hurst and the Needles. Really wild! I've since seen film of Nicorette and some of the other large yachts beating out and it looked wild for them. On my Sigma 33 it was very lumpy.

Richard

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I think the best advice you can give anybody is that if possible , use the North Channel. I ran before a F6 once heading for the Needles and got their too early with the tide still ebbing and a W6. Funnily enough I was OK at the Bridge but hit a patch in the channel where I seemed to be follewed by 9-12' vertical waves. Truly horrible. My daughters thought the whole experience was terrific - now I always wherever possible use the North Channel !!!!!

oldharry

Visit site
Funny how the children seem to enjoy the rough bits so much more than their parents, isnt it Bill?

Just how bad conditions can get in the Needles channel was highlighted by the capsize of a French Corvette on the Bridge during WW2. A Naval friend recounts taking solid water on the bridge of a modern Destroyer out there not so long ago - 60 feet above the waterline

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Too true. The incident happened 12 years ago and they still talk about it yet. It was the first season with my last boat , a light displacement , flat bottomed Jeanneau. We also recorded the fastest speed measured on her - 15.8 knots. The rig was bar taut and humming - so was I !!!!!!!

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Short answer is NO! If you are going to use the North Channel make your mind up some way in advance, preferably 10 or 15 miles out, then head to leave the Shingles well to Starboard. Remember of course that on the West going tide will tend to take you that way any way.
If you get close in to Bridge there is a very strong West going current which can sweep the unwary down on to the southern Tip of the Shingles, so you must stay to the South of the South Shingles buoy (the last port hand buoy in the Needles Channel) if you decide to use the North Channel. (Have not got my charts to hand so the name may not be correct.
I would suggest that if you have never used the North Channel you use it for the first time in good weather, so you get a feel for it.
If you are uncertain and are coming from France and the weather is bad the safe option is to go via Bembridge, if you are coming from the West Country hole up in Poole till the weather improves.
Over the last five years, with about at least five trips to France a year, I have only had the weather bad enough to use the North Channel once, so it doesn't often happen. It is just as well to have an alternative strategy ready in case it is needed.
Good sailing

Chris Stannard

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Head for the buoy at the North end of the North Channel, called ( I beleive sans charts) North Head. It's well up in the corner - if Hurst spit wasn't in the way you'd be able to see Keyhaven behind it. This will keep you well clear of the Shingles. If coming from S, and intending to use N Channel, my preference would be to come in a mile or so W of the Bridge anyway.