Williams 325 - Fuel Pump issue

Miura

Visit site
Hello,

I do have the following problem with my 2007 Williams 325 tender.

8 weeks ago I recognized that when I wanted to start the tender the Fuel Pump doesn’t do anything anymore.

The Relais works but fuel pump doesn’t start to take the fuel.

Went to local Williams dealer here in Mallorca and bought a new fuel pump - built in - everything worked fine.

Now the tender was not in use for a few weeks and when I did a trip to Ibiza with my boat the 325 did not work the same way. Bought a new fuel pump at Williams Ibiza - everything worked fine.

Now, after 8 days the fuel pump doesn’t start anymore as well - and I am now clueless and don’t think that the fuel pump does always blew off.

Does anyone have a hint in that case ?

Elecriticy on, turn the ignition key, Relais works, fuel pump doesn’t do anything.......

Thanks in advance for any kind clue.

Best regards,
Stefan

jrudge

Visit site
The pumps are standard items on eBay for next time!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POW...457761?hash=item2a790c06e1:g:zbcAAOSwt5hYd6w2

The first thing is to put 12 volts across the pump and see if it runs. If so then there is another problem. If not then you have been unlucky a few times in a row ( unlikely I accept)

Bear in mind that if the kill switch is pulled off or not making contact then the fuel pump will not run. These switches have a limited life so I would check that first. In the short term you can short it out - but for the sake of you and passengers don't leave it like that.

If not that then I would go through the rib pulling and cleaning each connector and covering it in WD40

Finally whilst I doubt it is the issue I would make 100% sure the battery is fully charged.

From memory ( and it is only from memory so could be wrong) the pump pressurises the rail. There is a I think a pressure switch that then cuts in to stop the pump. It could be that. I will try and look later to see if I am right or it was just my imagination.

Last edited:

Miura

Visit site
Checked the first pump and that seems to be broken.

The second pump I didn’t check until now.

The killl switch works, checked 5 minutes ago and the Williams went well with the actual pump until 4 days ago. When I wanted to flush it yesterday the pump didn’t say a word anymore.

Will check the connectors tomorrow, battery is full charged.

If there is a pressure switch would be interesting to know where, as I could be that one. Can’t believe to have bought two fuel pumps with production failures or else.....

Thank you very much for your fast answer as I am satisfied with the 325 until now. Beside it sits also on a Squadron 58 like yours I think.

Best regards,
Stefan

aquatom

Visit site
I think you will find that there is contamination in the fuel tank. The aluminium tank can corrode inside leaving a sandy kind of powder in the bottom. The fuel filter is after the pump. Fit a decent fuel filter before the pump and it should sort it.

Miura

Visit site
My tank is also a plastic one.

Went to Williams and asked to change the pump for guarantee as only some weeks old.

They told me that the problem is with the minor quality of the petrol. They have checked that the 98 octane petrol has only 81 octane petrol and that’s one of the reasons.

Also recommended to take the petrol from the car station instead of the harbour.....

What should a simple fuel pump do with octane numbers ? Doesn’t matter at all for me.

When I have to fill up the tender on the car station or handling the petrol of it I have the wrong dinghy.....

Nevermind, they changed the fuel pump without any costs - but will check now if there are not any „maybe“ better fuel pumps around. I also thought about installing a water absorber ?