Will my Generator run my Power Washer?

Appledore

Visit site
Hi All,

Went to power wash the boat yesterday and my Karcher K2 power washer decided not to pump water! It's run from my 1500 Watt generator, and I've used it several times before. However, I was going to buy a Karcher K3 power washer today, but that is rated at 1600 watts, so higher than my genny. Silly question I know, but would my genny run this? Can't afford another more powerful genny, but I really need a more powerful washer. A plain 'yes' or 'no' would be great please. Many thanks.

Geoff

Kelpie

Visit site
My pressure washer is 1400w. My genny is 1000w continuous, 1200w max. The combo works, but you can tell that it's a bit down on power.

DownWest

Visit site
The usual problem with electric capaciter start motors, is the starting current is multiples of the rated power. So, unless your genset has a bit of spare capacty over the washer and a big flywheel, then unlikely to get it going.
e.g
I have a DIY steel cut off saw, motor is 4 hp, so about 3kw or 13 amps. BUT, I measured the starting load at 45amps (the motor is actually a jet wash one) so the wiring and breaker is sized to that. It is only a brief load, but can be enough to stall a genny. Sculpter friend bought his compressor in with a cooked motor. OK in the studio, but outside, on long extensions, the voltage drop with the starting load stopped it getting going and it over heated.

Jim@sea

Visit site
Hi All,

Went to power wash the boat yesterday and my Karcher K2 power washer decided not to pump water! It's run from my 1500 Watt generator, and I've used it several times before. However, I was going to buy a Karcher K3 power washer today, but that is rated at 1600 watts, so higher than my genny. Silly question I know, but would my genny run this? Can't afford another more powerful genny, but I really need a more powerful washer. A plain 'yes' or 'no' would be great please. Many thanks.

Geoff
Off eBay I bought a 5 kva Generator (Honda lookalike) for £99.00 DELIVERED. Brilliant Generator. Dont know if it was a selling mistake, it was on a website called Trueshopping (or something similar) A friend who knows internet selling said that these importers could buy 100 and when they get down to the last 5 and they have received another 100, they sell the last 5 off cheap. Its too complicated to add the new 100 to the 5 in stock, and they would have already made the money on the 95 they sold so effectively the last 5 stand them at nothing.
If you want to sell your K2 please let me know.

Mudisox

Visit site
I bought a second hand petrol pressure washer off eBay, Paid £140. Very Powerful.
Ditto and have now had it for 15 years, only problem is with the corroded stop switch.
Two suggestions,; the volume of water passing through is as important as the pressure when you buy, and, when starting, open the "gun trigger" to get water passing through the pump which helps turning the pump over reducing the effort for the petrol engine.

Appledore

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.

At this moment in time, before leaving to clean the boat again (!!), the Karcher K2 is w o r k i n g!

My genny is an Impax 1500 Inverter, from Screwfix, but I do have a hefty Nutool genny - a bit of a lump to lift on your own.

However, the short answer to my question is no! This morning I plugged in my 1800 watt compressor, and of course that stalled, as did the 1600 watt Bosch garden shredder. So I will see what happens today.

Geoff

Kinsale373

Visit site
You have to be careful running motors on Jennys, You have to cater for "inrush current" which is higher current for a short period as motors get up to speed. It can be significant . In some situations you would need 30% more KVA to to start a given motor. In short a 1600 Watt Jenny is probably not big enough to run a 1600 W Power washer. Under rated gennys or step down transformers are a common cause of burned out motors.

I bought a really handy petrol power washer from Liddle 4 seasons ago for €250. I just used it last week to wask the hull . More than enough power.

Kinsale 373

Appledore

Visit site
All done now thanks. Genny and Karcher worked a treat. Even found a much stronger hose and nozzle which gave a more powerful jet than the one I was using. think the Karcher behaved because I had been on the look-out for a more'sexier' model! Thanks to all.

Geoff