Will I get away with it?

Visit site
Hi
I am flying to Greece next week on Easy Jet I have a 24kg winch as well as my luggage of 20 kg The winch is inside the sizes stated for hand baggage but will they let me take on board?
Cheers bobt

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I think Sleazyjet's limit for hand luggage is 10kg.

Probably depends on what kind of mood the check-in person is in and whether or not s/he got their oats the night before /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site
A couple of years ago we travelled with Easy and some friends (met by coincidence and on the same flight back) who were way over their allowance. He told the check-in we were all travelling together and had pooled our luggage. They weighed it all and he got our underweight. Jammy b........ Try that with your hand-luggage.

Angele

Visit site
Do you have a friend who could see you off?

Cunning trick: ask your friend to look after your hand luggage while you check-in and tell him to wait round the corner. If they ask to see your hand luggage you can shrug your shoulders.

Then reclaim your bag before going through security (obviously checking to see that your mate hasn't set you up by filling it with plastic bags of talcum powder). Security don't care about weight - not their job - and just make sure it looks like it is nice and light as you board the plane (so you don't get challenged). Naughty I know, but worth a try.

A couple of millennia ago, when I was at college, I used to do this. I lived on an island, so had to fly back at the start of each term. Mum would look after my hand luggage containing all my books (and, as this was back in the good old days, some booze too) whilst I checked in my hold bag. Suitcase used to weigh just under 25kg. Hand luggage was nearer 30. Never got caught. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Admittedly, things have tightened up a wee bit since then.

jhr

[ QUOTE ]
Cunning trick: ask your friend to look after your hand luggage while you check-in and tell him to wait round the corner. If they ask to see your hand luggage you can shrug your shoulders.

Then reclaim your bag before going through security (obviously checking to see that your mate hasn't set you up by filling it with plastic bags of talcum powder). Security don't care about weight - not their job - and just make sure it looks like it is nice and light as you board the plane (so you don't get challenged). Naughty I know, but worth a try.

[/ QUOTE ] Being serious for a moment, that would be my suggestion as well. I can't see that a windlass would fall within the realm of prohibited articles for hand luggage (unless you intend to boff the captain over the head with it) so I don't see why Security would stop you.

It is a bit of a gamble, mind you, because presumably if they don't allow it through they will confiscate it and you'll never see it again....

jimi

Visit site
I tried to go through security with climbing gear in my hand luggage, they refused it through and sent me back to the check in desk to book it in as hold luggage. They did'nt then charge me the excess.

fireball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is a bit of a gamble, mind you, because presumably if they don't allow it through they will confiscate it and you'll never see it again....

[/ QUOTE ] Or as Jimi said - go back to checkin - or keep said matey around who held onto your bag and get them to take it home ....

jhr

Interesting - was it just ropes, or pitons, hammers and the like? If the latter, I can see why they might baulk at allowing you to take them as hand luggage.

Or maybe they thought you were going to scale down in front of the windscreen and break your way into the flight deck? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Angele

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I tried to go through security with climbing gear in my hand luggage, they refused it through and sent me back to the check in desk to book it in as hold luggage

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that because it had spikey bits that could be used as a weapon? If so, I wouldn't have thought a winch was in the same category.

EDIT - sorry jhr got there before me.

jimi

Visit site
It was a rope and karabiners. No hammers or ice axes. I suppose I could potentially done a Haston and used the krabs as knuckledusters;-)

And here is it in use last week in Spain
3668842798_ce0b08cd75.jpg

PilotWolf

Visit site
Don't forget to pay for your hold baggage BEFORE you get to the airport! Got stung last month in charges for nearly as much as the flight cost at Gatwick and Naples.

W.

Evadne

Visit site
They don't like ropes as you could use them to tie up the pilot after you've hijacked the plane. I was told this when I took a very long electrical cable as hand luggage.
It was allowed because I had a TWIMC (To Whom It May Concern) letter from my employer, which said I am an employee of her Brittannic majesty's government (true) and please render any assistance this person may require. An official looking letter on a kosher (looking) letterhead is worth a lot, even in Gatwick.

Daedelus

Visit site
If you get away with it, don't put it in the overhead lockers: you know what a panic there is to get everything out to be first to wait for your hold baggage and the thought of that braining some unfortunate is awesome.

Mark you if you get into turbulence I should think 24kg knocking around the aircraft could do some damage to other passengers or even the aircraft, still you will have saved yourself a good few bob.

exfinnsailor

Visit site
Last time we went they weighed everything .. Could you not take it as sports luggage ..

From EasyJet Site

Special Items and Baggage Charges
Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum combined hold baggage weight of 50kg including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32kg.

£18.50 per item but you have to pay upfront .. Its more at the airport

If you get stopped and they charge it as excess baggage then 20kg your allowed + 25kg winch at £9.00 a kilo .. £225 .. Cash or Card Sir .. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
I know, because it's there!

nutters, the lot of you!

edit>>p.s. anyway, didn't you mention that you were starting to get vertigo a while back, you know this is not the ideal solution.

ThereAndBack

Visit site
I flew Easyjet from Manchester to Corfu in May and they didn't weigh my hand baggage (or measure it).
In your place, I would put in in a small rucksack on my back and look as nonchalant as I could with 24kg strapped to me.
If you get 'caught' tell them it is sports equipment but you couldn't find sailing equipment listed on their website when you bought your ticket.

AND, let us know the outcome, please.

Alan

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
[ QUOTE ]
Hi
I am flying to Greece next week on Easy Jet I have a 24kg winch as well as my luggage of 20 kg The winch is inside the sizes stated for hand baggage but will they let me take on board?
Cheers bobt

[/ QUOTE ]
EasyJet have no weight limit - within reason - for hand baggage. Basically, if you can lift it you can carry it on. If you dig through their FAQs you'll find this:

"There is no weight restriction although easyJet does apply a reasonable limit — i.e. you must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance."

Thistle

Visit site
But beware: getting it out again could be a problem. Earlier this week I put my hand baggage (a sweater) into one of EasyJet's overhead lockers. During take-off items were heard to slide back to the locker behind. On landing we noted that the locker behind had been taped shut and that my sweater was thus out of reach. Stewardess #1, wearing a skirt, stood on the arm of a seat and made a valliant but unsuccessful effort to reach the offending article. Stewardess #2, wearing trousers, hoisted herself right into the lockers and ejected the sweater before getting herself into that awkward and precarious position dangling from the locker with feet an unknown distance (actually just 2") from a firm surface. Substitute winch for sweater and the situation becomes more interesting!