Will a motor sailer get me banned?

G

I've been along to KIP and they have a very nice 35ft Motor sailer - professionally built Colvic, gleamingly imaculate FSH 47hp Thorneycroft naturally aspirated, ketch rig, full electronics, genny.

I don't know, I mean I have had motor boats all my life and this would be a departure, especially cruising at seven knots. I know nothing about sailing but if I look at some of the people I know who sail, it can't be that hard. I would just have to get my son the sailor to teach me.

The burning question is, would it get me banned from this forum?

Nick

Chris_d

Visit site
It floats, it's got an engine and sounds interesting to me, sort of boat you go round the world in.

I'm not a member of the clique though.

G

Nice reply like that - you're in!

Nick
(clique secretary)

G

Re: closet raggies outed

I'm sure it will be fine whatever you get. Some us secretly do the rag/stick thing. If it was ok with a Birchwood...

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re:Rubish!!

Of course yul be banned.
Yer Scotish git.
The forums for proper motor boats not ones with elastic bands for engines and th-wifes knickers flying about every where!
You will just have to join Shutlebugger or Marian's site fo tea and buns.
Dont think its too bad an idea though to have a motor sailer though I was nearly tempted myself.
What put me off was the fact that they dont do both particularly well.
And can you get used to going at 7 knots.?
The sailing bits easy if your not trying to race anybody.
If the sails flap, your going the wrong way so turn untill they dont.
There you are. First lesson for free. Can I come and teach you to sail it??

Haydn

Chris_d

Visit site

Oh dear its all coming out now, but arn't all motor boaters just lazy sailors, I just got feed up with all that zig zagging whilst I could see the bar clearly, but we kept turning away from it, "lets start the engine" I would say, I'm afraid I never got in that clique either.

G

yes, probly bit lazy.

On a rya course we had to do the man overboard thing. Each intructr has different ideas. One of them said loos main, engine on, get round asap. Rightyho, boompah 4000rpm all the 40footers will do 10knots.

G

You are welcome as if I buy I am going to have a clique members party, complete with plank for newbies, ashtrays for HLB and a bucket for donations. We could have a few games like "guess what this rope does" or "berth the single screw boat"

Nick

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re:Rubish!!

I went up to Windermere a few months ago to train a guy from Scutalyerbug, so now I'm a proper qualified teacher.
Ropes, well you just pull all of them and see what happens.
Dont forget the whiskey Nick and forget the ashtrays, its a bit like having ashtrays on motorbikes!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Look even Scottish accountants should know they're called sheets (ropes that is not the newbies). There's also an excellent sailing forum for you to use although I expect you'll still be allowed back here if you see the light.

But if we're all invited to the new boat party then that could buy our votes.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Are you sure it is 35'? Kip list it at 31'. Who is right? However sounds good although a bit short on length and probably weight to be properly comfortable. Original offer to look over a 'proper' motorsailer and discuss the pros and cons still stands. You don't want to buy something that doesn't really come up to the standards of comfort you expect. Then you would be disappointed.
PS The multipurposeness of a motorsailer allows you to have a keel in either club, power or sail.

G

Re: Ropes v Sheets

You are of course absolutely correct, as ever. Is it motor sailers where the expression "scared sheetless" comes from?

Nick