Why would anyone want to spend winter living on a boat?

Heckler

Visit site
26degC in the cabin at 0600 this morning in Antigua. Some unusual weather here at the moment with a North wind. Squalls to 30 knots but sun in between at about 28degC. Cant complain

22deg here yesterday, wind gone northerly during the night, down to 18 deg now inside but sun shining, blue sky, neighbour just gone for a sail.
Stu

AndrewB

Visit site
Too bl**dy right, why would anyone in their right mind do it? I'm aboard in Italy, the temperature is -3°C, it's sleeting down outside, the boat is a pool of condensation, half the electrics are on the blink, and a storm force 10 is forecast.

If I had a shred of sense, right now I'd be sitting in a nice warm comfortable Residential Home somewhere in Bognor Regis, drinking up my cocoa and watching Eastenders.

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
I lived aboard for one winter in Shetland, controls for the cabin heater in the forecabin and two alarm clocks. Turned the heater on with first alarm then got up 30 minutes later to a nice warm boat. Nearly went for a swim one morning though as deck had a film of ice on it!
Much prefer my current berth in Praia da Vitoria, Azores - no snow and just use a fan heater on low setting some winter evenings.

Niander

Visit site
Winter in the UK no probs ...when its really cold get the heater on relax watch tele get on the web .
But tbh its normally quite mild in the UK nowadays and i did notice a massive horrible low in the med the other day...the UK is great all year round and it doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer!!SO i generally prefer the UK anyday.

mikenfi

Visit site
-8 here last week. boat was iced in, approx 3 inches of ice we took walks on it. I had to break the ice around the boat every morning. It was horrible out there. But inside the cabin it was around 25 degrees!

The ice has thawed and a new generator has arrived! So I was tickety boo this morning . Then the water pump broke. And getting anything boaty inland in France is expensive or a long delivery times. Fortunately I was chatting to a guy today that happened to have a couple of pumps that need resealing! So the water will be back on tomorrow and we can leave Sunday!

It's mighty hard living on a boat first world problems and all that!

OldBawley

Visit site
To my knowledge we are the only liveaboard yacht left in The Poros Saronic region.
I think to know why our boat is such a good liveaboard.

First, we heat and cook on solid fuel ( Wood ) If cooking on gas, the burning of 1kg of gas creates heat but also 9 litres of water. Think of the condensation that gives.
Last week we had a chef guest ( Staying in a hotel ) who cooked comprehensive meals on our little yacht. Every evening 3 hours of cooking regional products and learning new tricks. Even then the only condensation we had was on the windows of the doghouse.
Since the burning wood is for free ( we anchor in a forested region ) heating can be done unreserved. If it gets to hot we just open the doors to the cockpit winter tent.

The other source of condensation is the people living on the boat. We cope with this water by having a boat build out of five tons of bone dry wood. ( The extra tree tons of cast iron keel don’t help.)

All wood inside the boat that is not visible is untreated. No paint, no varnish. That wood absorbs the human condensation and gives it off with nice weather. Been old and dry ( especially me ) helps also against condensation. I even suspect I absorb water.

We had snow on the winter tent and sail covers some days ago. Not on deck ( Bad isolation ) despite 2” thick solid wooden decks. Outside chill factor temp -15° C according to Hellenic Meteo. Inside 22° and elec power in excess. Two wind generators. Sun does little during winter.

Mind, most people would not like to live my life. Small boat, having to row and collect water and wood every three days. A lot of physical work. We like it this way, otherwise we would live on dirt like most people. The wife who is dividing her time between the boat and the house likes winter on board better than in the grey North. Summer in the South is not her thing.