Why not more carpet lining?

yachtorion

Visit site
My Hurley (built 1990) was lined out internally - apparently from the factory - using a good quality nylon I think carpet. It worked really well and created a lovely warm interior. After 20+ years the carpet was still in excellent condition. The carpet had a semi-stiff backing and didn't require any foam.

The boats I've had since then have all been done with a vinyl and foam. The vinyl seems to deteriorate quickly and separate from the foam which turns to dust. Admittedly these boats are nearer 30.

The carpet seems like a much better solution - and easier - so why all the vinyl? What am I missing?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Our club committee boat ( Hurley i believe) has carpet lining in the forward berths & the typical varnished interior of the time. Everyone agrees that being down below is pure hell. It is the darkest & dingiest place one can imagine.
Whilst carpet can easily be re stuck back it is hard to keep clean & does not reflect the light.
It is not difficult to see why manufacturers moved away from it.
However, if one has a small area that needs covering, & notwithstanding the above, a few carpet tiles can provide a solution ---if desperate

alanch

Visit site
Cannot answer your question but I can endorse carpet for internal lining. It is hard wearing, gives a warm feel interior, and is easy to fit and repair. What's not to like? It has been fitted to pilot boats for over 20 years. But they are not for pleasure are they.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Cannot answer your question but I can endorse carpet for internal lining. It is hard wearing, gives a warm feel interior, and is easy to fit and repair. What's not to like? It has been fitted to pilot boats for over 20 years. But they are not for pleasure are they.

I would imagine that there is a lot more light & space in a pilot boat than a small yacht.

yachtorion

Visit site
I would imagine that there is a lot more light & space in a pilot boat than a small yacht.

Have to say my Hurley was light and airy, but there was a lot less dark varnished wood in that late build boat, for example the wood bulkhead had been replaced with a GRP ring to create an open plan layout. A light colour carpet was used which may help.

Could it be that it's the choice of colours and finishes that makes it dark, rather than the carpet?

The clean thing is another interesting point - again it didn't seem to be a problem on my Hurley.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The vinyl doesn't separate, the foam turns to dust (as you say). I wouldn't say it's fair to refer to this process as "quickly" though, it typically takes 20 years for the foam to degrade. In the meantime the vinyl is bright and easy to clean, whilst the foam acts as insulation and there is no condensation.

I prefer the vinyl, even though some of mine needs replacing.

patrigo

Visit site
I have had quite a bit of "carpet lining" for many years, but there is carpet and there is Flotex. Flotex is expensive but almost indestructable. 70+million synthetic fibres per sq m electrostatically flocked on to a fibreglass backing, with rubber, if you want it, and comes as sheet or tile. Fantastic colour range. The only fabric surface okayed for hospital surgery floors. Cuts cleanly and cut edge cannot fray.

Boathook

Visit site
I'm going to try some carpet in one of my cabins this winter. I've got fed up with vinyl and foam parting company so will use some left over carpet. A light colour and 100% poly so it will be interesting how it lasts, etc.

Seajet

Visit site
If sticking carpet to hull try

' Arbo Master BR ' butyl based sealing compound.

This is recommended for sticking windows in, doesn't ever fully set so as to allow for flexing, and is meanwhile fearsomely sticky stuff; very handy, but beware if you turn your back on it you'll quickly become tarred and feathered !!!

Google architectural suppliers for it near you, a fraction of chandlery prices.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
With Gladys when relining the boat in 2006, we did any hull surface (below toerail) with an off cut of carpet from Carpet Right, and the deckhead and cabin sides with vinyl... no signs of any disintegration ten years on.

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
Never tried using carpet overhead but we used self adhesive carpeting (this stuff) to line the hull. It was a light beige colour. I lined the hull first with foam. The main problem was getting the stuff positioned right before letting it grab the foam - because it was immovable once in contact! Nice looking finish with excellent insulation and comfortable to touch. It would be extremely difficult to install it overhead though. We used the usual foam backed vinyl overhead except over a quarter berth where, to make life easier, I used several coats of thick, anti-condensation white emulsion paint directly on the GRP! It worked surprisingly well - stayed put and made the quarter berth less of a gloomy black hole.

alanthestudent

Visit site
Carpet linings are good on the sides, don't use cheap (toolstation) spray adhesive though also dont use a household carpet with the rubber backing as that deteriorates quickly and will come off.. Overhead it maybe a bit heavy, best to use a suede or vinyl type thing as it's lighter also use a heat resistant spray glue.

pagoda

Visit site
I'm going to try some carpet in one of my cabins this winter. I've got fed up with vinyl and foam parting company so will use some left over carpet. A light colour and 100% poly so it will be interesting how it lasts, etc.

We replaced ugly factory "foamed vinyl" with closed cell foam 6mm lining the inside of the hull. That was covered by light silver grey "van lining" in the cabins- and new white unfoamed vinyl in the saloon. The whole boat is now cosy and welcoming. Check ebay for van lining and hawke house for closed cell foam. We used the single sided adhesive. 2 sided would have been hard to work with. On the West Coast of Scotland heat is never a problem, and cosy wins every time.

lw395

Visit site
If carpet ever gets left damp for any length of time, it tends to be manky for ever.
Overhead, I quite like a white painted deckhead. best for light. A foam or balsa sandwich deck should not need insulation.
OTOH a softer surface to knock your head on has its place.
Coaches are often line with something a bit like carpet, but I don't think it's actual carpet. Might be worth a look?