Why don't people seem to understand what 'Self Service' means on the locks?

kremmen

Visit site
I concede the 1st point except that in some locks (eg Marsh when yellow boards are up and back eddy hits tail gates. Hambleden in windy conditions) the tail gates chatter and need the lock full to prevent either damage / wear / dangerous passage for the public.
As to the second point:- can fish not get out through open top sluices?

Momac

Visit site
"all gates and paddles are closed afterwards too."

When will people understand to leave the bottom paddles open........

That isn't a rule on the Trent. It is usual to leave gates closed and all paddles down otherwise risk of debris clogging an open sluice.
Also an empty lock is more hazardous in case some pedestrian accidentally falls in - it would be easier to get out.of a full lock.

Wilfred123

Visit site
Isn't emptying a lock after use a waste of water?
I am always getting emails and leaflets from Thames Water and EA about trying to save it.

With regards to locks on self service, I think that the EA should use volunteers much more. There must be loads of people who would enjoy helping out during the summer.

kremmen

Visit site
I am always getting emails and leaflets from Thames Water and EA about trying to save it.

With regards to locks on self service, I think that the EA should use volunteers much more. There must be loads of people who would enjoy helping out during the summer.

Evaluations are taking place this week. Can you commit to a day a week this summer?

Wilfred123

Visit site
Evaluations are taking place this week. Can you commit to a day a week this summer?
Personally no as full time work current prevents access regular access to River.
But if I were retired, with all the time in the world it's something that I would enjoy.

The EA don't seem to promote the recruitment of volunteers very widely. Who knew they undertaking any kind of assessment this week?

Even a note on this forum might have resulted in a few more applications..

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

Volunteers are not permitted to work unless an employed lock keeper is on site supervising. If a lock is unmanned by EA staff volunteers will be (and are) sent home.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Blimey is there anyone left on this forum that ain't an EA employee?
Well. I'm certainly not an EA employee (although there are some who seem to think I am!).

Unfortunately, The EA regard this forum as a den of vipers and to be avoided at all costs - which I think is a great pity. I worked hard to get this forum running as a place where reasonable people could communicate with each other and air views and issues relating to the river. Some may remember thatI managed to persuade Angela Quayle who at that time was a senior manager in waterways to contribute here but she has left for pastures new and there are no current EA personnel that seem to be brave enough to enter the fray.

Anyone you may regard as an EA employee is much more likely to be an ex employee.

wrecktangle

Visit site
Well. I'm certainly not an EA employee (although there are some who seem to think I am!).

Unfortunately, The EA regard this forum as a den of vipers and to be avoided at all costs - which I think is a great pity. I worked hard to get this forum running as a place where reasonable people could communicate with each other and air views and issues relating to the river. Some may remember thatI managed to persuade Angela Quayle who at that time was a senior manager in waterways to contribute here but she has left for pastures new and there are no current EA personnel that seem to be brave enough to enter the fray.

Anyone you may regard as an EA employee is much more likely to be an ex employee.

You mean Andrew AKA Crusty?

Old Crusty

Visit site
Well if he is such a hero, do tell who he is then!

One of the principles of this forum is anonymity and in demanding to know who I am, once again you have exposed yourself for who you are. You may have a new handle but the cat with no tail is obvious. Get a life!

Parabordi

Visit site
One of the principles of this forum is anonymity and in demanding to know who I am, once again you have exposed yourself for who you are. You may have a new handle but the cat with no tail is obvious. Get a life!

No, i am afraid that you are incorrect - that would be me. Wreck, amongst several others i have spoken to along the river are just fed up with the two resident know-alls on here.

Last edited: