Why do most builders not expoxy from new?

G

It has been well-known for decades that osmosis can be kept at bay if GRP hulls are epoxied from new.

This is standard practice in the US (albeit with their often warmer waters). It also standard practice in the UK for military GRP vessels, and with a few select yacht builders.

Why does the buying public not insist on it? The incremental cost is not great.

I'm sure that it would help when it came to sell on the boat (I for one would be happier buying it). My current boat is 15 years old, and was epoxy painted as standard when new - you can still see it when you scrape away the antifouling. If I prenetrate it, I usually apply a touch up. I don't know if it works, but it makes me feel better anyway.

G

It's better, but not as good as epoxy our materials people seem to think. We still epoxy GRP piping and pressure vessels to give maximum life in seawater service.

It should have been done as standard 25 years ago on yachts. My boat was when new (1984), and the layer is intact. Few other builders did it I think.

G

Advice given

was, why bother to expoxy when you have a hull warrantee? Do it at the end of the six year period. However, having had to have a previous boat treated for the big O, we've decided to expoxy from new. The cost is reasonable, but the peace of mind is considerable.

Will let you know if we ever decide to sell. As if!!!!

G

Because gelcoat is now based on isophthalic resins, resists osmosis far better than the older types.

G

the same reason they do not do the job properly and mould in epoxy. cost.

epoxy is not impermiable to water, and you can still get osmosis (albeit much less likely) with an epoxy coating over polyester. The chemistry of epoxies is different, and you cannot get osmosis in an epoxy moulding

G

Isn't this the same question as why Builders do not build houses with Double Glazing ????

I was told that they fit build small windows - just under the size required to make them fit double glazing - all down to cost and profits.

Now back to the Big 'O' and Polyester / Epoxy .... new resins are arguably less likely to blister and are more expensive than the old variety. So builders do not want to epoxy coat as well and increase cost further. QED.

Some yards actually build in epoxy, but then often you have non-pigmented hull, which then requires painting to required colour .... increasing costs again ..... QED

One postee mentioned the Hull Warranty and then epoxying at the end of that warranty ..... God forbid that anyone should contemplate that, unless full stripping / pealing etc. is done first ..... ALL Gelcoats allow some moisture through and it is not correct that a hull will be dry after warranty period. You will actually be wasting money and effort epoxying without treating properly and preventing blistering. The CORRECT way to do it is to epoxy coat BEFORE it EVER hits the water ..... in fact the average owner himself can coat up without re-course to a yard, then only costing the price of the Gelshield etc. I seem to remember from my 'forays' around some builders that they will offer epoxy coating at reasonable prices ex factory .... worth asking ....