why are bow thrusters so noisy?

Stingo

Visit site
thought you had a catamaram. Don't you have two engines and therefore shouldn't need a bowthruster?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> <font color=blue>- now showing at a computer near you</font color=blue>

pkb

Visit site
I don't know the answer to your question but I'm having one fitted as we speak. I've always thought they were a bit wanky but after handling my boat with no scrapes for more than five years I think I've earned the right to swing her bows into/through the wind in a marina at the flick of a switch.

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
They dont have to be - ours is almost inaudible - certainly cant be heard from the cockpit.

I suspect the answer lies with a combination of noisy motors, poor motor mounts and particularly with poor prop and tunnel design leading too excessive cavitation. Ours never cavitates in normal use, and gives a kick that hrows people on the fordesck off balnce if they havent been warned. The ability to push the bow to windward in F5 is a key attribute in tight marina spaces. Without it, and with our folding prop I wouldnt dare to enter mny spaces we actually get into quite eaily.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

A lot of people throw the lever full over and cavitate the prop .... causing a lot of 'rattle' in the 'pipe'.

there are a few motor boats near me in my Tallinn Marina and they all have bow thrsuters .... one in particular is noisy and evryone knows he's using it ... another you never hear a thing unless he really has to give it the max. But its funny that talking to him - he reckjoned careful control and NOT cavitating gave him better 'thrust' ...

The construction of 'em is not akin to quiet either .... the 'plastic / GRP' pipe and motor can vibrate and cause noise ...... so a combination of both gives us the marina 'ensemble' ......

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

snowleopard

Visit site
yup, two props 17ft apart do make life easier but getting the whole shooting match to go sideways isn't easy!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
So everyone else in the marina knows you've got 'em?

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Heckler

Visit site
when i worked in angola

right on the mouth of the river congo, we used to have workboats (150ft, twin engined 16 cylinder cats) come up to our little jetty, they would stick their nose into the tide, put one engine in forward and one astern, this would then be adjusted to keep them stationary and the prop walk would walk them sideways onto the jetty.
does this work the same on your catamarans?
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>