Who's sailing this weekend?

robyonfrome

Visit site
Great to be out on the boat, had a little sail down to Poole quay, tucked up now with fire on and watching united/ west ham what more could you ask. SWIMBO got a face on though not into footy

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
on the boat now

on the boat now

lovely sunset across the Humber

I am attached to the pontoon and hooked up to the power

the tide is out but the water from the drainage channel is sweeping past katie L's stern

just opened the first beer

gonna watch an episode or two of Deadwood

tommorrow night I should be on the hook on the river

in-laws still staying at Claydon towers

I am not sure they understood quite how important it was to come to Brough to dry the boat out

just as well I came as there was some moisture in two of the lockers

condensation rather than rain I hope

time to bring the last seat cushion home and replace it with winter upholstery of lilo and camping mats

Hoping for some sun in the morning

Dylan

Sans Bateau

Visit site
No other boat here now. Had supper, savouring a few glasses of red with some music on. Mmmm, been a long time since I've been afloat.

Houleaux

Visit site
Gentle beat from Chichester to Portsmouth harbour yesterday. Mist and no wind for return today, but good to be sailing again (first time for a month!). Hopefully some more favourable winds next weekend!

Marmalade

Visit site
was out on Thurs / Friday - quick hop up to the Deben, overnight on a vacant buoy, home Friday lunchtime. V reasonable weather - cold but not bitter. Couldn't ask for more.

dunedin

Visit site
OK I am cheating as this thread started last weekend - but up in Scotland it was rather too windy last weekend.
But surprisingly, in spite of the doom and gloom about snow, it was a lovely day on the Clyde yesterday - cold but dry and just 5 knots of wind.
So we managed our first sail of the season and first trip to Glencallum Bay for lunch.

Indeed was thinking that the winter is better weather for sailing than for maintenance, as would have been bitterly cold working on a boat

Happy season everybody

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
OK I am cheating as this thread started last weekend - but up in Scotland it was rather too windy last weekend.
But surprisingly, in spite of the doom and gloom about snow, it was a lovely day on the Clyde yesterday - cold but dry and just 5 knots of wind.
So we managed our first sail of the season and first trip to Glencallum Bay for lunch.

Indeed was thinking that the winter is better weather for sailing than for maintenance, as would have been bitterly cold working on a boat

Happy season everybody

Thanks! We came not last in the first race of the year in gusty hailstoney weather!

mrming

instagram.com
Went out on the Medway today. There was light snow when we left the pontoon but our dedication was rewarded with a lovely bit of winter sun later on.

Wind was all over the shop, from force nothing to what felt like a 6. Saw one other sailing boat - a rather lovely looking navy blue MAB around 36-40ft, and a mobo who very considerately slowed down as he passed us to avoid us spilling our cups of tea.

Worth leaving the boat in for.

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
Went out on Sunday for two races in the Argentario Winter Championship series. Forecast was horrible and out on the water there was 25 - 30 kts of Scirocco (Warm "Lumpy" South Wind). The first race went ok, our skipper chose to drive straight downwind with 1 reef in the main (preventer rigged) and the 140 genoa out on the other side and we whooped everybody else's arse.

Whilst waiting for the start of the second race, a 35 kt squall blew over with hailstones etc, that passed ok, we weathered it quite well though our sandwiches got soggy. Then, without warning, crew munching soggy butties in the feeble sunshine, the main gybed (preventer unrigged), the mainsheet parted (!) and the rigid vang hit the shrouds and broke, which was fortunate because had the vang not broke, the shrouds might have parted and the mast come down.

Skip was for starting the second race with an obviously broken vang and an incomplete check for other damage, but the crew mutinied and we headed back to port and the clubhouse buffet.

Only one boat completed the second race, everyone else got 10 points.

Bah! We could have saved ourselves 8 points if we'd tried it!

Pleiades

Visit site
Oil fired central heating for boats....

Was out last week for lovely winter sailing off Wemuff- the weather was to put it mildly less than ideal on one of the days but still delightful...short vid taken on the Blackberry herewith of the nicer day. Note the oil fired central heating - the gimballed Fastnet Lamps......

http://youtu.be/QS19oqzUKcE

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

Last edited:

SteveTibbetts

Visit site
I nearly sailed last weekend.

Having had the boat previously chafe through her mooring lines I revisited last weekend to secure her enough I could sleep at night without worrying.

I also didn't know how much either side of high water we would be floating.

I was pleasantly surprised when we floated over 90 minutes before HW and realised I could have nearly 3 hours before I needed to park for the night.

Gutted when I remembered I'd shackled and moused the anchor chain halfway down the riser as a backup to the mooring warps.

Terra-Loon

Visit site
I have some work scheduled to be carried out at Darthaven, so I have to get the boat round this weekend from Brixham. Not the longest sail in history but should be pretty cold and wet none the less.