Who really makes those branded plastic toolboxes?

B27

Visit site
I read recently that the Lidl Parkside range are made by Bosch. Don't know if that's true or not.
Could well be made in the same factory in China.
My estimation of Bosch has gone down a bit since I inherited a couple of their modern mains drills, not half as nice as the 1980s one I still use..

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I read recently that the Lidl Parkside range are made by Bosch. Don't know if that's true or not.
I bought a lidl parkside wood lathe. Utterly useless. Ii stalls as soon as you apply a tool to the work, and I was only using softwood/deal to practice in. Its just cluttering up my garage. Free if anyone wants it.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
One of the ways to keep the price down is to keep the motor power down

I had that with my lathe milling m/c and my bench drill. I increased the power of the motors on both and they are now more usable.

Don't skimp on the motor power.

dancrane

Visit site
I'm not proud to say that having been deftly snagged by Bosch's battery-loyalty bait in 2017, my cordless tool kit isn't as great as the reputation of the name.

My first Bosch drill, the professional grade (dark blue) 18v brushed, bought for £99 with a 4Ah battery, was and still is excellent. When I was afraid it might be failing, I took advantage of a similar Screwfix offer and bought the same item, this time brushless, with two x 4Ah batteries, for £150. Unfortunately I don't like the brushless item as much - nasty snatchy start-up, where the older version was (and is still) very smooth.

By then I'd bought a cordless grinder too, which I love for its convenience, but when I watched the "Project Farm" Youtube episode on 115mm grinders, I had to admit that the Bosch is awfully shaky (I didn't realise all grinders aren't the same!).

So, Bosch is okay, but if I were starting again, I doubt I'd go the same way. That said, I'm not sure which of the manufacturers to trust, given how they're almost all in each other's pockets, or factories!

According to this site, Einhell owns and manufactures Parkside.
Parkside - Encyclopedia of Tools.

Einhell makes its own-branded range too, but apparently the batteries aren't compatible with the Lidl kit.

A friend bought a Worx multitool and said the battery fitted and worked perfectly with Erbauer kit, available from Screwfix (and exactly the same colour as Bosch Professional range). Neither Worx nor Erbauer is overpriced so might be worth loyalty in future. Only tools and batteries of the same voltage match up, obviously.

Apparently (it says here) Ryobi and Milwaukee are both made by Techtronic Industries. Who are the Manufacturers Behind the World’s Biggest Hand & Power Tool Brands?

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
By then I'd bought a cordless grinder too, which I love for its convenience, but when I watched the "Project Farm" Youtube episode on 115mm grinders, I had to admit that the Bosch is awfully shaky (I didn't realise all grinders aren't the same!).
For those of us who don't want to watch a long video, is there any chance of a quick summary?

dancrane

Visit site
Actually I was so mortified by the low score the fellow gave my Bosch grinder, I can't remember the rest.

Go to 16 minutes 55 seconds for one reason I may look at powertools not made by Bosch in future. It's almost at the end of the vid (where he gives his conclusion, too).

PabloPicasso

Visit site
One of the ways to keep the price down is to keep the motor power down

I had that with my lathe milling m/c and my bench drill. I increased the power of the motors on both and they are now more usable.

Don't skimp on the motor power.
Do you mean you replaced the motors on existing machines, or just got. More powerful replacements?