Who plans to buy a boat at the Boatshow

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Over the years the balance of new (sail) boat purchase seems to have swung towards SIBS. I now have a shortage of good used boats to sell and this slack is often taken up by new boat purchases at the shows. This year though I think it is going to be SIBS where new purchases are made, but does anyone have any other ideas, or plans to buy at LIBS?

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Over the years the balance of new (sail) boat purchase seems to have swung towards SIBS. I now have a shortage of good used boats to sell and this slack is often taken up by new boat purchases at the shows. This year though I think it is going to be SIBS where new purchases are made, but does anyone have any other ideas, or plans to buy at LIBS?

Not buying & would never buy new unless i got the lotto up

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Well 235 views and no-one planning to buy so far. I'll be there on Friday wandering the halls if anyone wants to say hi.

FullCircle

Visit site
Bought new in 2005, could afford to again, but have vowed never never never to ever buy a new boat again.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I suppose there could be a few impulse purchases of boats at shows, but buying is a long process for most people. Consequently, the buying process might start at a show, but will be followed by test sails, cogitation, consulting of price lists, etc, and will conclude later; or that process will already have been followed but will be formally concluded at the show because the exhibitor wants to be able to announce 'sales'.

[2574]

Visit site

Does anyone actually buy a boat at a show? If I was spending £400k on a new Nauticat I'd need a much better experience to make me part with the cash than simply handing over a cheque whilst all the tyre kickers wander about in the cockpit. Visit to the factory followed by test a sail an absolute requirement I'd have said. But as I'm only in used Nauticat territory I needn't concern myself about it!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Never bought new.
Whenever I start thinking: 'I should have bought new' I think of Full Circle :eek::p

New boats - old boats: there are always going to be 'issues'.
With new boats, there's the added 'stress' that you have to find them all before the warranty runs out.

If I were to buy new (lottery win required) I would go down the semi-custom built route.

prv

Visit site
If I were to buy new (lottery win required) I would go down the semi-custom built route.

If I were to win the lottery (buying a ticket required :) ) I would go down the fully-custom route, getting a proper naval architect to formalise, engineer, and finalise the layman's sketches I've been developing as a hobby. Being a simple, rugged, almost agricultural design, it might even end up cheaper overall than an equivalent production boat with all the fancy bits.

I wish :)

Pete

Talulah

Visit site
I really, really want to buy a carbon spinnaker pole from Selden but my previous visit to their stand and the salesmans attitude has still left me traumatised.
I have recently seen some big yachts in as new condition go for some really low prices (30% off an already low asking) and just can't understand the logic in buying new given all the pitfalls.

Wandering Star

Visit site
If I had £400k to spend on a new boat I'd buy a recently used model of the same design I hankered after. I could then give the difference in price to my my wife who would probably blow it all on a dress from the charity shop, a small vial of Chanel No. 5, a or a bag of food or some some other extravagance. She'd be so grateful ,and that always makes feel good.

Cheers, Brian.

Duffer

Visit site
Bought new in 2005, could afford to again, but have vowed never never never to ever buy a new boat again.

Also bought a new French boat in 2005. I would buy again but the boat still suits us perfectly. I assume FullCircle must have had problems - is there a link to a thread where these are catalogued? Yes we had a few minor glitches which the dealer sorted out promptly and free of charge. You do need good dealer support after buying new but I would definitely do so again.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I bought in 2009 LBS , my experiences is all the promises go down the drain once the cheque clears , 12 months of problems after problems each time having to fights to get work done , I had to E mail the MD in France at one point to get the work done on warranty the commission itself took one day that after it stood in there dealer yard for 3 months with the odd hour work done on it now and then and only when I lost my rag that they got on and did the work , it wasn’t never taken on a sea trail , none of the instrument where ever calibrated , I ended up paying to get work done myself as it got embarrassing , still to this very day there problems that should had been sorted out at the commission stage .
12 months warranty on a new yacht is worth nothing considering in that 12 month you may only use it the most 2 months in all i.e. weeks ends and summer hols . .
Would I buy again new NO..................
The yacht itself is a great yacht ,sails well , and very happy with it , shame the backup service from both the dealer and the manufacture was cxxp .

Last edited:

sighmoon

Visit site
I oncetried buying a dinghy at LIBS. About two years later, I finally managed to get my money back from the credit card company. The expereince has certainly put me off buying a new boat again.

Joker

Visit site
... 12 months warranty on a new yacht is worth nothing ...

Under the Sale of Goods Act, you can claim for up to six years for 'latent' defects - i.e., those which were present when you bought the boat, but not obvious or visible.

It was on that basis that I went to Wittey Marine when my Huzar 30 came apart. Didn't do me any good, though!