Who owns (and still uses) the most ancient bit of marine electronics.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Do we have to limit this to electronics?

When we bough our boat, a previous owner had butchered the original table (the cut up remains were in a locker) so I made a new one, using what had formerly been the top of an office table I got from my first employer 40 years ago. It was far from new then. On the underside it has the stamp of the manufacturer declaring it's age as 1953, making it 10 years older than me and about 3 times as old as the rest of the boat.

Sanded back and re varnished it looks splendid.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Electronics? I don’t even have a battery. Compass and burgee?
My Sestral grid compass- which I was using today- was a present to me in 1969 . It has been getting me lost, ever since. I cannot recall ever setting off, even for a quick test sail in the river, without it in its gimbals, just under the tiller. :D

Poignard

Visit site
My Sestral grid compass- which I was using today- was a present to me in 1969 . It has been getting me lost, ever since. I cannot recall ever setting off, even for a quick test sail in the river, without it in its gimbals, just under the tiller. :D
Is it like this?

1717786624603.png

And does it have the light?

If so, could you send me a photo of the light please?

Reason: I have just sold my boat and brought the Sestrel compass home but I have left the light for it on board and I want to ask the new owner of the boat to send it to me.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yes I have 2. One is from a fixed mount so I made some gimbals for it
You can see these in the photo & also the light.
Is there enough of the light for you or do you need me to remove it?
I would have to get it from my boat to do that as I only have one
The Beta lights have long since expired so I have disposed of those
Finished job (600 x 402).jpg

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Yes I have 2. One is from a fixed mount so I made some gimbals for it
You can see these in the photo & also the light.
Is there enough of the light for you or do you need me to remove it?
I would have to get it from my boat to do that as I only have one
The Beta lights have long since expired so I have disposed of those
View attachment 178176
A photo of the light on its own would be good. When you have the time.

Thanks

38mess

Visit site
Until last month I had an Eagle fish finder working perfectly on the boat, at least 40 years old. On lift out for my annual out of water survey the guys on the lift wrecked the transducer with a misplaced sling. Anyway the survey was happy with a quicky cobbold together lead line.
The yard are denying responsibility for wrecking for the fish finder.

doug748

Visit site

dancrane

Visit site
I'd like one of those Sailor radios. I've never used one. Until this year I thought they were early depth-sounders (I hadn't seen one with the big handset).

I never got on well with the DSC Icom on my Achilles, but I'd happily use one of these...

53776319502_66c7c7bbb4.jpg

They really look the part.

They're not even that old. I suppose I have a sort of Amish streak that says technology peaked at a certain point and I don't want anything newer.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I'd like one of those Sailor radios. I've never used one. Until this year I thought they were early depth-sounders (I hadn't seen one with the big handset).

I never got on well with the DSC Icom on my Achilles, but I'd happily use one of these...

53776319502_66c7c7bbb4.jpg

They really look the part.

They're not even that old. I suppose I have a sort of Amish streak that says technology peaked at a certain point and I don't want anything newer.
I had one which I bought from a fellow forumite on this channel.The phone handset was brilliant when the engine was on. I gave it away to a sailor with a classic yacht when DSC came in . Wish I still had it.

There are a number of versions both for ships and yachtsmen which you probably know.