Whitlock Cobra 5R Jammed

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
Looking at the assembly pic and the video, it seems that the black seal is more of a cover for the circlip. Its probably a standard size available from most bearing suppliers. The bearings are sealed anyway. If the bearings feel rough then they will need to be changed as they are likely to fail, probably at some awkward moment. The seal has to come out to remove the circlip and then the shaft and the bearings should push out. The ones in the video look to be a bit loose on the shaft and the housing so it's possible that some bearing fit has been used to take up the slack. A bit of heat may help, or you could take the assembly to a garage with a workshop and ask them to press it out. Once it's out, take the bearings, seal and circlip to an engineering or bearing supplier and replace the lot.

Martin_J

Visit site
The black seal is a cover, but with the one in my video and photos, I think the rings within the seal had rusted causing them to expand and break out through the seal.

I seem to remember using a couple of self tapping screws into the seal in order to pull it out.

The bearings were not easy to push in individually but I found that by resting one in place, it was the pushing of the shaft (with a bearing on it) through from the other side, that was what lined the whole lot up and enabled them to slide into place.

As you say, it was a standard size seal. Looks like it says 200 100 25 on it.

20210911_112157.jpg

Loopy

Visit site
I seem to remember using a couple of self tapping screws into the seal in order to pull it out.

Thanks for that suggestion. A pilot hole, a screw, and some convincing to with a slide hammer and it popped off.

...revealing the rusty circlip that now doesn't want to come off.

Attachments

• _20210912_152932.JPG
    _20210912_152932.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 15
  • _20210912_153003.JPG
    _20210912_153003.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 16

Martin_J

Visit site
I have a set of circlip pliers for that task. You see them at he beginning of the video. Places like Screwfix have set of four... two bent and two straight, with an external (that pulls apart) and an internal (that squeezes together) of each type.

I prefer the sets where you get four complete pairs of pliers rather than the type with ends that somehow clip on.

Much safer on fingers than struggling with ordinary pliers or screwdrivers. Less chance of damage as well... and more chance of keeping the circlip from flying off (and maybe even saving your eyes from being hit by it).

Screenshot_20210912-220349_Gallery.jpg

Loopy

Visit site
I appreciate all the help. The application of Seafoam Deep Creep over about a 12 hour period, using the screwdriver at a shallow angle to break the circlip lose, followed by the use of external circlip pliers to take it off worked.

However, how to get the bearings and pinion out of the housing?

Loopy

Visit site
Any ideas on how to get the bearings, pinion, and brake horseshoe out of the housing? I've been hitting it with Deep Creep to address potential corrosion issues I can't see, but can't seem to get the innards out of there.

Martin_J

Visit site
I think you can see my method in post #18.

I would have let a penetrating fluid soak in for a good number of days beforehand.

I seem to remember the bearings just appearing gradually, like in the photo.