White water stains on oak panels

bigwow

Visit site
Condensation from the metal window frames have made white stains on the oak veneered panels which surround them. I assume the veneers are wafer thin so do not want to attack with the sander, Any other way of getting rid of them so I can re-varnish the panels.
Thanks

Tranona

Visit site
Strip the varnish off with a chemical stripper. Bleach may remove the stains or try oxalid acid solution. There is no fool proof way of removing stains so you may need to experiment..

rob2

Visit site
I wonder whether the stains are on top of existing varnish or in the veneer itself? If it's a water stain on the varnish, it may come off with a weak acid such as vinegar or lemon juice. If the wood is exposed and the stain is in the veneer itself that may still work, but I've never tried it and would wait for advice from an experienced wood expert!

Rob.

Hydrozoan

Visit site
Strip the varnish off with a chemical stripper. Bleach may remove the stains or try oxalid acid solution. There is no fool proof way of removing stains so you may need to experiment..

Bleach and oxalic acid are for dark stains, surely? These are white! http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/remove-watermarks

I'd try the oily substance route first, I think - see above link - and vinegar/olive oil is usually my first port of call. But I agree that it's a chancy business, and am no expert.

Tranona

Visit site
Bleach and oxalic acid are for dark stains, surely? These are white! http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/remove-watermarks

I'd try the oily substance route first, I think - see above link - and vinegar/olive oil is usually my first port of call. But I agree that it's a chancy business, and am no expert.

Depends on whether they are in the finish film or in the veneer, which is why I suggested removing the finish first. May well be that once this is done the underlying veneer may be sound.

Hydrozoan

Visit site
Depends on whether they are in the finish film or in the veneer, which is why I suggested removing the finish first. May well be that once this is done the underlying veneer may be sound.

Does it depend on whether the stains are in the varnish or the veneer? You said 'Strip the varnish off with a chemical stripper. Bleach may remove the stains or try oxalid [sic] acid solution.' It seemed to me that a clear sequence was proposed - and in any event I would not expect bleach/oxalic to be able to deal with white water stains, whether they were in the wood or in the varnish.

bigwow

Visit site
The windows are in a large panel, stripping is not an option! I'll have a go with spirit and go from there.