White smoke

G

I have 130hp turbo deisel with a290 duo prop leg it smokes alot [white smoke]i was informed there is supossed to be a switch & lever on the side of the exhust operating a flap inside the exhust supposed too be closed when cold and then open's when warmed up any suggestions PAUL

G

Hi Paul, Looks as if those who know more about this than I, are a little tardy with this one. I'm assuming that what you have is the AQAD 31, They do white smoke, this is reduced (?) by the flap valve in the exhaust bend. This is designed to restrict the escape of the exhaust from the cylinders in an attempt to increase the cylinder temperatures. The flap is not operated by the engine temperature, but by the boost pressure. Even if it is working, it is unlikely to reduce the smoke by much, although I haven't seen your boat so I can't say. Those who have this problem (mostly with the AQAD 41) do not feel inclined to renew the exhaust flap valve, because the cost to benefits are not to their likeing. Tom

G

might not be helpful but white smoke can be caused by dodgy injectors too...

on my engines I have a temperature guage that monitors exhaust heat and alters combustion cycle to encourage more heat in cylinders (much as suggested previously) the suggestion I had was bridge the connection so it is always 'on' and see if that changed smoke as white smoke from my engines may have indicated dodgy combustion mixtures

G

Good advice - When I first saw the thread I thought that they had chosen a new Pope!!!

G

Nope! I turned down the job as Pope, technically I can't do it anyway, I'm Greek Orthodox.