White pigment for epoxy

Avocet

Visit site
I'd like to paint some epoxy over some gelcoat damage below the waterline. (Long story short, a mate's lift keel boat where the cast iron keel had rusted and swollen, such that it wouldn't go down through the slot in the hull, so we had to "ease" the gap with a hacksaw blade, which has taken some gelcoat off). I could of course, just use white pigmented gelcoat with a bit of wax in it, but thought that with a keel rubbing up and down past it, epoxy might be a bit more durable.

Can anyone recommend a pigment that I could use with some epoxy, please? (West 205 is what I already have).

Supplementary question: his keel is going to have the loose rust removed, but he wants to winter in the water and then haul out and remove the keel properly next spring and get it blasted. Any recommendations for a paint to plaster over the keel for the winter months, to just reduce the speed at which the thing will rust again, please?

Refueler

Visit site
I would mix Micro Balloons in the Epoxy ... its lightweight air micro balls used to add volume to resins but no weight. Local Resin shop will have it ...

The balls are usually white and when mixed in the resin - resin will be white ...

As to the keel : as another says > Hammerite. Doesn't even have to be anti-rust ...

Other threads that may be of interest