Whiskey

byron

RIP
Visit site
I see in MBY the Whiskey is still offered for published letters. Does MBY still scan the Forums to extract a suitable candidate or have the letters got to be submitted.

ô¿ô

tcm

Visit site
no! You have to write in these days. They want tthat nice new feel of a personal letter to the editor, not an ole used message on the BB. But email is ok.

Note that if you have a really good letter, you can sendit it to MBM and get botttle of gin too, as at least one have done in the past few months.

JohnR

Visit site
I could have sworn that it is more than a month since the last MBY was published, does anyone know if they are still in business?

G

Re:You know you want it...

Yep, still in business...new issue goes on sale today and it's absolutely boatastic (Azimuts, Froggy cruising, Sea Rays, Sabrelines, Fabio Buzzi, Jersey, Boat Show, etc). Go out and buy it...you know you want it.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Does it help if one changes one's nom de plume on a regular basis. Maybe Bernard Matthews, J Verne or Angry from Tunbridge Wells?

G

Re: WHISKY

Might I respectfully point out that the beverage as scribed by you is Irish i.e. whiskey. Not that theres anything really badly wrong with that rubbish but I seem to recall that the particular distillation on offer was the Balvenie which, although a sort of common or garden malt, is unquestionably Scottish and therefore a WHISKY.

Just correcting your slightly muddled approach, Englich.

Nick

G

MMmmmm - Reading through this thread and residing on the other side of the Irish pond - I felt it my duty to point out that error myself - but Byron - in all his infinite wisdom - has beated me to it.

Not that I would have quite worded it in the way he did - that he responded certainly indicates that he does posess a modicum of wisdom - however his classification of whiskey as rubbish really must draw the extent of his wisdom in this context into question. Perhaps Byron - if you planned weekend trip in your boat across the Irish Sea - some of our fellow boaters on this side of the pond would be quite happy to work with you to enhance your practical knowledge and appreciation of Celtic fermentations and distillations!

The history of whiskey/whisky is a saga rather like the history of the toilet seat. It is widely held that the toilet seat, while having been originally invented in Scotland as far back as medieval times - was vastly improved by the Irish by cutting a hole in the centre of it. While some argue that whiskey was the original of the species, and was invented in Ireland - others claim that it was infact discovered by the Scots (resourceful lot - but not on the Rugby field) - and the Irish merely improved it by storing it in wooden barrels rather than in barrels made of peat. (improved both the taste and the wasteage).

Please don't interpret this in any way as either racist, or as a denouncement of the Scots - without a doubt they have continuously been one of the more resourceful races resident on these fair isles. As a benchmark - around the same time as the Scots were working on the toilet seat problem - the current art south of the border with respect to the problem of people sqautting on the street - was in fact to fit opening windows in the peoples houses. A similar lack of sophistication is also evident in the current national beverages south of the border - which seems to favour serving what remains in the sink following the wash up in glasses while it is still warm.

Best Regards to you all from a warm study on a cold wet Sunday morning.

louis

G

Firstly, I should apologise for the use of the expression 'rubbish' in relation to Jamiesons' et al. Irish Whiskey is actually a very palatable drink, much better than 90% of the world's beverages. It can only be described as rubbish in comparison to a good Scottish malt, particularly those emanating from the Mull of Kintyre. I appreciate that this may cause a discussion to the effect that these are the best because of the Mull's proximity to the Emerald Isle but I could not agree.

As to toilet seats, could you cast a little further light on the subject. How do these holes in the middle work?

As to rugby, I will keep my powder dry for
a) the Irish/English game
b) the Scottish/Irish match

both of which, I suspect (and the former with much regret as all Scots support two teams - Scotland and whoever is playing England) will result in green defeats.

Finally on the question of invention, the Scots can claim

Whisky
Television
Rubber tyres
Golf
Football
Steam engine, hence the industrial revolution

Now add to that the Irish list which I am sure will be equally impressive and you wonder if there is anything left for the English to invent!

Nick

G

aah - in case there is any misunderstanding -the apology is really inappropriate - this is all supposed to be fun.

And to be honest I couldn't tell Irish from Scotch if I couldn't see the bottle - I'm not over fond of the stuff at all. But don't flame me for not holding true to Irish tradition.... I'm partial to the black stuff.

The Mull of Kintyre being closest to Ireland influencing the whisky is stretching it a bit...

Which - when we're on the subject of inventions - (Guinness) completes the list! - nothing else required.

If you need more convincing - add the Beauford scale - that was developed by some geezer here in Ireland ( though with a name like that I'm not sure where his roots were - but hey - everybody's Irish if they want to be).
Have to admit tho' the Japanese have taken this toilet thing way too far now - theirs are electronic - and have a console on the side of them with buttons and blinking leds... of course the instructions are all in Japanese - so you spend you visit in terror of touching one for fear of what it will do to you......

Obviously I can't agree with your rugby predictions. This weekend will be the real test - but I'm quietly confident - and I'm afraid to say that the two teams playing in Twickenham at the weekend are the top two this year.....

Anyway - the question really is - when are you guys actually going to get your boats in the water and get over here and understand Irish subversion from the inside!!! (Saturday night in the boat club)

louis