Which wind vane?

Tintin

Visit site
I've done lots of reading, looked at loads of web sites, read many forum posts, but now I need to cut to the chase...

Which wind vane would you choose for a 27' yacht (Leisure 27), which has a (book) displacement of 6750 pounds, of which 3360 pounds is the keel?

Cost is an issue - current favourite seems to be the Pacific by Wind pilot, but I'm wondering if I could get away with the Pacific Light, but I reckon my weight is too much.

What do members of this parish think? And why?

fishermantwo

Visit site
I've done lots of reading, looked at loads of web sites, read many forum posts, but now I need to cut to the chase...

Which wind vane would you choose for a 27' yacht (Leisure 27), which has a (book) displacement of 6750 pounds, of which 3360 pounds is the keel?

Cost is an issue - current favourite seems to be the Pacific by Wind pilot, but I'm wondering if I could get away with the Pacific Light, but I reckon my weight is too much.

Presumably you have joined this forum and asked the question there;

http://www.cruisenews.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=62

I'm Ramona on that forum. My windvane is a home built version of a Walt Murray design in stainless steel. Cost probably $100 but lots of hours of labour.

Most of the builders of the common units are on that forum.

I would think the Leisure 27 would be easy to steer with any of the servo assist units.

Independence

Visit site
A vote for Windpilot from me. In my opinion if you want to save money this isn't the place to do it (depending upon what you intend doing of course).

I had the Pacific Light for my first boat and understood it could handle yachts up to 28 feet. I've now bought a boat a tad over 30 feet and bought the Pacific version (it's yet to be fitted for the 2011 season).

Most Jester Challengers in my experience had only good things to say about Windpilot.

macd

Visit site
current favourite seems to be the Pacific by Wind pilot, but I'm wondering if I could get away with the Pacific Light, but I reckon my weight is too much.

I've no experience of the Pacific Light but the Pacific is a superb bit of kit. As well as seeking info here, why not address your question direct to Peter Forthmann at Windpilot? I presume you're familiar with his website. He's helpful.

V1701

Visit site
Did you consider a Navik Wind vane. Thought by many to be the best windvane for a sub 30 footer.

I don't think you can buy new but they are available used.

Yes, no longer available new. The last one I saw on ebay went for £575...

doug748

Visit site
You might be interested in looking at these:
http://windvane.co.uk/
I fitted one last season but have not used it to a great extent yet, tho the last owner sailed it across the Atlantic. It is said to owe a lot to the Windpilot design but is a lot cheaper.
If you would like to have a look at one, ashore, give me a PM, I am in Plymouth.

lumphammer

Visit site
Another vote for the Pacific Light. I did 3000 miles to Azores and back in a 28 footer, slightly lighter than yours, but had no problems.
Like all self steering systems getting boat balanced makes all the difference.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com

I've only had it a year, but I have been very pleased with my Sea Feather.

fishermantwo

Visit site
Another vote for the Pacific Light. I did 3000 miles to Azores and back in a 28 footer, slightly lighter than yours, but had no problems.
Like all self steering systems getting boat balanced makes all the difference.

Balance is important of course, most boats will sail happily with just a shockcord upwind and reaching. The windvane needs to reliably sail when your reefing or sailing deep downwind when its more difficult to get any balance.