Which wind instrument?

noelex

Visit site
There are a few sensors that directly output NMEA 2000 sentences (such as the ultrasonic Maretron and Airmar models), but many units such as the popular B&G WS310, actually output NMEA 0183 sentences (or sometimes a proprietary protocol) and then use a conversion box or "network interface box” to convert the output to NMEA 2000 sentences.

The "network interface box" is situated below decks. This is included in the price of the instrument, so in some ways the instrument can be thought off as a NMEA 2000 unit, but from an electrical standpoint the cabling leading to the top of the mast is carrying NMEA 0183 not NMEA 2000 data (even if sometimes NMEA 2000 plugs are used). The NMEA 2000 backbone does not continue to the top of the mast. This distinction is important for troubleshooting.

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
The wired B&G WS310 comes with a 20meter thin cable for the mast. I got the wireless one WS320 and the battery has just given up after 6 years. Cheap to buy a new battery but a faf to change it as you need to re-pair the unit so you have to bring it down from the mast and then re-install after pairing. Obs easy if you un-step your mast for winter storage but mine stays up all year round.

johnphilip

Visit site
Thanks all for your input. As my echo sounder has been erratic (Sometimes doubling the actual depth, sometimes stopping any reading just as it gets shallow) I am looking for Black Friday deals to replace the whole set.

B27

Visit site
I have had an Autonic nmea unit on my madt for 2 seasons now.
Not issues.
Not stupid money either
I didn't realise Autonic were still out there.
Looking at their wind sensor, it seems to have a typical direction error of 4 degrees.
Does this mean it only measures the direction to the nearest 2 or 4 degrees?
AFAIK, the old NASA units only work to 32 compass points of direction?

This is OK if you are lying in your bunk and want to know roughly what the wind is doing, but it's no good if you aspire to using it as a close hauled indicator, or want to work out 'True Wind'.

Personally I favour a decent masthead wind direction arrow.
But a reliable, repeatable wind speed reading is handy, particularly when sailing down wind, or motoring, deciding whether to faff with the sails or not.