Which VHF?

G

Which VHF? Edit Post Reply

I would like to purchase a VHF radio for this coming season and I am looking for some advise. I have a 21 foot cruiser / racer which I sail in the Firth of Forth. Should I go for a fixed VHF or should I opt for a handheld system (e.g. do you get a longer range with the fixed system, etc., etc.). What are the advantages and disadvantages of these systems and what particular features should I look out for. Any feedback would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

BarryH

Visit site
All sets are manufactured to a srict set of specs and type approval. A fixed set will be better suited to a yacht as the antenna can be mounted on the masthead which will give a greater "line of sight" range. Hand helds will have a lesser range as the antenna is lower, unless your up the mast!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Not quite fair. If possible, go for a fixed set. Because then can fix reasonably long arial and proper power. Expect about 10- 15 miles on small cruiser I get maybe 30-40-50 miles on mine with fly bridge.. I 've used hand held. Ok they will all say different but a mile or two and your lucky.

Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
There was a study done by PBO or YM or somebody last year, I think and height of antenna is everything, even on my deck with a handheld I can manage to be heard (With the radio) 7 miles, I know. I expect it would have been further but thats as far as the guy went! We are talking a fairly small boat here and he did say cruising in the firth of forth, the coastguard will still be listening, (thats something else I'm sure of) On the clyde, it wouldnt matter if you had a 200 watt VHF, because there are damn great hills in the way, whch stop VHF, try calling Brixham coastguard from Salcombe, you'll see what I mean, even from Dartmouth it's difficult and they are only 3 miles away!

Freebee

Visit site
I recently completed a radio course and the one fact that came out loud and clear was that fixed sets rely on your onboard batteries which are usually low down in the bilges in an emergency the one time you might be relying on the radio if sea water gets to your fixed batteries no more radio and that's the reason I bought hand held to back up my fixed set.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Listening Range........

Probably not much help in your deliberations but a surprise to me nevertheless........................
Down at Chertsey on the Thames on Sunday and an Icom handheld vhf left scanning in the wheelhouse was picking up river updates from Gravesend Radio aok just with built in antenna. Dunno how far that is as the crow flies but 50 miles or so by road.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com
www.boatsonthethames.co.uk