Which trailer sailer

waterwings

Visit site
I consider myself as a reasonable sailor, with many years experiance with yahcts around the 35ft mark because of the costs involved, I have finally decided to down size my dreams.

So now I have started to look for for a trailor sailor to tour with and hopfully be in the water for the start of next season 2005.

Im looking for a boat which can be comfortably managed by one, both in and out of the water but will accommodate myself and my lady wife with ease, so Im looking for a two berth with galley and heads because we plan to spend some evenings aboard. My budget is £4000 to £5000 depending on the condition of the boat and trailor any ideas?

A swift 18ft or a mirror offshore 19ft would these suit my needs?

Any help appreciated
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site
ask your lady which head she would like to use, then start looking for boats that will fit her req. unless you really want to sail alone. you can also visit 'trailer sailor.com' there is an active t/s forum there.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bruce on 09/08/2004 15:21 (server time).</FONT></P>

waterwings

Visit site
Both myself and my wife have sailed before together but if I buy a boat she insists that the boat will have heads, either chemical or a sea toilet. We are both in our 30s and are prepaired to rought it a little if we have to, what size of boat is easy to manage by just one person incase she starts to hate it.
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
I agree with Bruce, downsizing from 35 feet to around half that is a huge step down indeed, and accomodation will be a prime factor if you dont want to end up single handing. You will also find your sailing much more limited - a F4 is a fair capful of wind to most 18-20footers, and the waves will seem and feel much bigger!

Set against that your need to be able to handle on land by yourself, you will have a lot of difficulty finding anything that is anythingless tyhan a severe compromise on what you are used to. - No standing headroom is one, unless you want lousy sailing perfomance.

I strongly suggest you get yourself invited out for a sail on one or two of the boats you think you might look at to get a feel for it all, before you decide whether to go in this direction.

For a while I owned a 20 foot trailer sailer (Tucker Matilda - ,nice 4 berth separte heads sitting headroom, resonable performance under sail) - but most of the sailing I did was crewing a 36 footer - everything abou the bigger boat was so much better set against the Matilda, which got sold through lack of use.

Now I have gone back up to a larger boat - and there was for a while a crew vacancy on the 36 footer....

<hr width=100% size=1>

LORDNELSON

Visit site
My wife and I have been thinking along the same lines recently, wanting to downsize but also to take the boat by road to areas we know are good sailing from our experience in bigger boats. I feel that the requirements are a good heads, comfortable bunks and very good sailing performance - what about the small Parker? There was a review in the PBO a few months ago but I cannot locate it now. Will be interested in all the replies you receive

<hr width=100% size=1>

fastjedi

Visit site
Two years ago I bought a trailer sailer without fully researching the options ... with similar requirements and background to yourself ..... Fortunately, I got most (but not all) of it right .... by luck, not judgement

Here's what I learnt along the way

1/ If you plan to do proper trailing look at the trailer first and the yacht second ... and don't fool yourself into thinking ... "the trailer looks a bit second hand but it should be fine with a new set of wheel bearings and tyres". Also, unless you plan to exceed 1500kg gross stick with a single axle trailer as they are much easier to handle.

2/ Don't exceed 70% of your vehicles towing capability if you plan to launch and recover yourself. There are plenty of marinas and boatyards that will do this for you ... in their time and at a cost

3/ In order to enjoy safe holidays you need the same navigation and safety kit as on a proper yacht. Clearly, this can run into a significant proportion of a s/h trailer sailer purchase price. Look for one with this or budget for it.

4/ Keeping enough electrical power for a week away can be a challenge. Your will need a good battery and charger (outboard or wind). We have a Mercury Sailpower

5/ Pick destinations that work in good and bad weather. eg: Plymouth, Solent etc

And finally, I'd go for a Swift 18 deluxe given your requirements and budget beacause .....They sail properly .... Easy to handle ....Well thought out / well equiped down below ....Solid resale values. Get it right and there no better feeling, wizzing past yachts you know cost 10x as much to buy and maintain!

<hr width=100% size=1>

cynthia

Visit site
Depends where you want to sail! For lakes the requirements are somewhat different. Many years ago we started with trailable boats and had lots, starting with a trusty Seawych (good accomm. but only a steady sailing performance) working through micro 18s (Gem and Challenger- great fun but limited accommodation) via Sunway 20, Teliga 21 right through to Parker 275 (sadly out of your price range). They all had good points and bad points. Interestingly enough the only two we towed to any real effect were the Teliga and the Parker 275 - all the others remained on their annual berths.

Which wouldn't I buy again? The Sunway. Which was most fun? The Teliga. Which gave best all round performance and good accommodation? The Parker.

All you can do is find the one that is right for you, at the price and considering your sailing (or intended) grounds.

What do we do now? Bigger boat sea sailing (Med) and lake sailing in a Micro (SW France). Yes, I know we're v. lucky. Hope you have as much fun!

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Swift 18 is a better sailing boat than the mirror offshore.The mirror is basically a small motorsailor.

The Prelude 19 is a very good boat with a drop keel version available.Quick and seaworthy. Has reasonable accomodation for 2 doing overnight /weekend sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>