Which ropecutters?

G

Has anyone any first hand experience of which rope cutters, that I should re-install on my 'new to me' '88 Fairline 36 Sedan.

The previous owner lost the bit that fits on the shaft, so I have one shaft fitted with the 'Stripper' version.

NOW, I've been well used the price of bits for my last Volvo sterndrives, but I was still shocked by the price quoted for a single ropecutter -£350 + VAT.

Forget about the debate, that ropecutters are essential £350 seems way over the top.

Has anyone any views or experience of different types, affect on performance or consumption?

I'm considering fitting the simple sharp disc - less than £95. Anyone offer any advice on these?

Many thanks

G

They just done a review / fitting article on the disk cutters in the March edition of Motor Boats Monthly.

Sorry, am I allowed to mention that publication here?

G

My boat has strippers, fitted from new. She is now 11 years old and they still do an excellent job so that works out about £30 per shaft per annum. If I was insuring against fouled props, I would probably pay that so no real complaints.

Incidentally, I have only had one incident where I was aware that I had caught something - engine note hardens and notice lots of blue nylon in wake. There must have been other incidents but clearly the strippers have just handled it and you would not know.

Nick

G

Why not spend your money on a scuba diving course and some good second hand equipment, then you can check your sterngear, scrub off and lots of other jobs (+pick up tea).

G

Cost per annum.

have you considered the extra fuel cost due to the inefficient flow of water over the props?

G

Re: Cost per annum.

This is an argument which turns up from time to time in this forum. Basically there are two camps - those who think that the slight decrease in efficiency/top speed, etc is worth the peace of mind and those who think that the risk of fouling is small and would rather have the performance.

Both arguments are valid but I fall into the former camp.

Firstly I seldom run the boat beyond about 3100revs = 18knts. Enough to ensure the turbos are running efficiently but slow enough to ensure unstrained engines and a non frenetic environment for the crew. I appreciate that I am using a tad more fuel than I might without ropecutters but at that cruising speed, how much? Over a season, I average around 10 gals/hr at that speed (twin volvo 41a's 200hp each). With no cutters what would it be - 9? 9.5? 9.8?

Secondly, I tend to think that anything which increases my chances of getting home every time is, within reason, money well spent. Picture picking up a nylon fishing net in the middle of a run for shelter with the wind doing force 6 and picking up!

However,you pays your money and takes your chances!

Nick

G

Re: Cost per annum.

Didn't I read somewhere that the RNLI reported that in their tests they were achieving half a knot better speeds on average? I certainly gained a knot.

G

RopeStrippers have come out top in recent mag. reviews. I've just fitted one; yes it expensive, but how much would it cost you to have your complete drive train rerepaired if you got really tangled up and ripped most of it apart; one prop shaft could set you back that amount. Assuming it didn't rip the whole lot out completely and sink the boat! It COULD happen...