Which polishing machine?

FlyingDutchman

Visit site
The past couple of years I used a "vibrating" 20 quid polisher. Last year, the sound indicated that this machine is terminal.

I have decided to go for a proper (like a grinder) machine. Can somebody please advise what power is needed and which rpm the machine should have?
The boat is 23ft GRP. Anything else to watch out for?

Many thanks in advance!

Wunja

Visit site
As you're in Holland you could look at the Ferm polishing machine. Variable speed 0-3000 rpm, 1400 watts. About 60 euros from Gamma or less on-line (Poetsmachine).

Whether it would last longer than your 20 quid one is unknown.

I know the International polishing products have a recommended speed in the instructions.

Last edited:

RichardTaylor

Visit site
Unless you are very experienced, it is generally recommended to avoid rotary (grinder) type machines as you can easily burn the paint/gelcoat.

The answer is to us a "dual action" machine which has an action more like an orbital sander. One of the best value for money ones used on the car valeting scene is the Kestrel DAS-6 at which if you shop around you can get for around £85

See this link: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/kestrel-das6-dual-action-machine-polisher-cat10.html

Stork_III

Visit site
The past couple of years I used a "vibrating" 20 quid polisher. Last year, the sound indicated that this machine is terminal.

I have decided to go for a proper (like a grinder) machine. Can somebody please advise what power is needed and which rpm the machine should have?

Many thanks in advance!
This site gives good info on polishing. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024

VicS

Visit site

Many thanks in advance![
/QUOTE]
I am thinking of taking a look at the Silverline one Force4 have to offer.

http://www.force4.co.uk/5584/Silverline-Electric-180mm-Polisher-Sander.html
850339.jpg
The same or similar can be found cheaper though by shopping around

or this slightly more expensive Clarke one from Machine mart

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cp180-1300w-sander-polisher-230v
060313180.jpg

Easy of course to pay £200 or more for a professional machine BUT weight is an important consideration!

Alternatives are This Clarke one . . or . . This one from Force4
060310254.jpg
. . . . .
420011.JPG

Personally I want one that can be fitted with a foam compounding mop, so that the traditional paste compounds, can be used as well as with a bonnet for buffing a wax polish.

I think at 1200/1300 watts the first two will be powerfull enough. I doubt if the other twowill be

Last edited:

FlyingDutchman

Visit site
Many thanks!
The one in the bottom right picture that VicS has embedded in his post is the one I have been using the last 5 years. Not bad but the bearings are gone so I need a new machine.
The warning for the burning of the gelcoat worries me. How big is this risk? Does it depend on the rpm and / or pressure applied? I don´t want to damage my boat...
Is there a guideline which speed is safe to use?
@ Wunja: Heeft de Gamma ook de Ferm machine? Ik ben niet zo´n voorstander van Internetaankopen...

rafiki_

Visit site
I've got the Silverline. It works great for me, and I'm not a pro. Just be conservative about speeds until you are confident, and ghe gelcoat will be fine. Try not to follow my example of dangling the extension lead socket in the water. Tends to trip the electricity..............if you are lucky.....

Mine cost £50 from Boatsheen. They have some really good products too.

Wunja

Visit site
@ Wunja: Heeft de Gamma ook de Ferm machine? Ik ben niet zo´n voorstander van Internetaankopen...

We have a very large Gamma store near us and I have certainly seen them in there. However, I don't recall seeing the mops and accessories, so you may have to resort to the internet, or maybe an auto supplies store.

(Ik kom uit Engeland en spreekt slechts een beetje Nederlands!)

Last edited:

gjgm

Visit site
The tophat ones are useless. The Silverline type is fine; it is a bit heavy so I wouldnt care to use it on 40ft+.
The main use is for the "abrasive" part of polishing/waxing, as thats the bit thats hard manual work. Pesonally I find a liquid wax is quicker to put on and take off by hand.

G12

Visit site
You'd have to be pretty stupid/careless to burn the gelcoat with a rotary machine especially if just buffing the surface with wax.

Edit: Incidentally we have a nice Makita one - lots of grunt when required.

VicS

Visit site
The main message I got was to use a lambswool bonnet, and make sure the head is kept moist - spray water from a squirty bottle. That should prevent burning.
For compounding ie with a rubbing compound, I'd recommend a closed cell foam compounding mop, run slowly ( max speed usually stated) kept moist with a trigger spray bottle.

There are different grades of foam to choose from .. Screwfix have a selection.

Lambswool bonnet for buffing up the final wax polish

Farécla, maybe others as well, now do a self lubricating GRP compound ("Gelcoat restorer") that is designed for use with a lambswool bonnet. I have not tried it yet.

FlyingDutchman

Visit site
The last couple of posts raise another question: Wich pad to use.
I normally use a 2 in 1 polish / wax (like Starbrittle Cleaner & Wax). Would the esteemed forum members recommend a lambswool (is this really lambswool or synthetic stuff) or a foam pad?

VicS

Visit site
FWIW I always use a foam mop for the compounding, kept moist with water from a trigger spray bottle

I started off using one of Farecla's car finishing compouds G-something
Then used another make, Boatpride? Current tin is Starbrite.

I think you will find the foam mops are what are recommended for these types of material. I'm on my second mop now. First one was bought along with the Farecla compound from a local car paint suppliers second one from Screwfix.

As mentioned earlier Farecla now do a Gel Coat restorer and IIRC a combined gel coat restorer and wax polish that are designed to be used with a lambswool bonnet on what they call a "polyothinic" polishing machine. I think without any water spray. They are part of their marine range so probably more expensive!

I have in the past always used a two speed electric drill running on its slowspeed. Not ideal hence the interest in an inexpensive sander/polisher, although I really ought to be de-cluttering and getting rid of tools etc not buying more!

Before and after pics from two years ago

. . . . .

Other threads that may be of interest