Which Plotter/Radar/FishFinder?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
My boat has a Raytheon radar about 4 years old - works OK.
It has a Philips (Leica) GPS that also works ok and I beleive I can update the software on it for a nominal amount. I am told this is a very good GPS.
It has the full array of sea talk instruments and up todate autopilot system.

The plotter on it uses the old C cartridges, which I can no longer obtain.

So I need a policy for updating the system. I do require a fish finder but more importantly a better plotter.

At present I am thinking of the Raymarine 7" daylight colour system with HSB. I can first of all purchase the fishfinder/plotter - that gives me a good system for both - I can then purchase the radar/plotter and using the HSB can in effect have a colour display of plotter/fishfinder/radar plus all my sea talk stuff on a colour screen both at the lower helm and in the flybridge. I can mix any combination of these as I wish on either screen.

This leaves me with being able to update my radar and a spare radar in full working order to sell on.

I think I should keep the Philips GPS to feed the GPS into the Plotter/s but update the software on it for a nominal cost.

I also have a handled Garmin 76 Map GPS as a spare.

The only problem with this is it is fairly expensive. So before I finalise my plans - can I have comment please? Has anyone used the daylight colour Raytheon plotters etc? Are they any good? Is there a better plan for me?
All comments welcome

Paul

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Why bother changing anything? If radar works ok then why not keep it? You probably will not use it that often in anger. The Leica had excellent write ups, if you want a cheap but IMHO good gps/chartplotter/fishfinder you won't go far wrong with a garmin 235. I have one and rate it highly (although it is only a monochrome screen), paid about £440 2 years ago. Has performed faultlessly.
I looked at these new daylight screens at Soton show and they really are very impressive, but like anything new cost an arm and a leg. Prices are almost bound to drop, so I would suggest you wait a while and use what you have. You will then get a better idea of what you really want.
LJS

Piers

www.playdeau.com
The Raymarine kit is excellent, and sticking with a common make reduces the hassle of trying to make the various bits of kit talk to one another.

The chart plotters work well, and can easily be seen in daylight - not a problem.

Piers du Pre
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Have you not spent enough yet Gludy?
My Raythion gear must be about eight years old but still dose everything I need.
One C chart for around Devon and Cornwall and the rest I do on the chart. Not worth spending loads of money on places you only go to once or twice.

Haydn

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I basically have no plotter as the only old C cartodge is for the Solent area. I would like to have a plotter and preferably in both lower helm and flybridge positions. Using the HSB I can do this by purchasing one fishfinder and one radar/plotter. This then gives me all functions on any screen.
The radar itself is fine now, the GPS as a feed to a plotter is fine. However, given that there is little extra cost in getting the radar/plotter as opposed to a pure plotter and given that the radar could then be fed to the flybridge screen - it seems sensible to go the HSB route for any boat with two helm positions.

I can part X the old C cartridge against a new C one as well.

My only hesitation in all this is the money, as you say having spent so much already. The fishfinder has to be fitted when the boats out the water and this will happen for other work in about a month, so I am trying tpo coordinate it all and hence would go for the fishfinder/plotter first and then continue to use the current radar.

I hope that sounds sensible. I am not 100% on all this - hence the thread.

Paul

hlb

RIP
Visit site
No theres none of us here 100%.
Now I see your problem,
However the plotter will still work in Swansea, you just dont get the close ups.
Still think you should get it out for a spin before taking it out of the water again.
I'll buzz down and give it a thrashing with you if you like.
Dont forget the shopping for charts, tide tables and pilot books. Much mor important than fancy gismose.

Haydn

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I have bought all the charts etc and I am learing how do it all without the electronics.
I have to take her out for a spin before she comes out of the water _ for a start I need to see if everything is running OK so that any problem can be dealt with when she does come out of the water.
May well take you up on the offer of a pop out for a spin. I am having her looked at by a volvo mechanic tommorrow and drawing up to do lists for when she comes out of the water but will before then take her out.
I have the dingy to put onto wires etc tommorrow so I can put her up on the davitts plus a host of other cannot wait jobs. However, I may take her out this weekend with a qualified friend for an hour or so if it can be managed.
I also need two new batteries etc and have sort that out.
My current plan is to get the fishfinder/plotter before she comes out the water so it can be fitted when she is out. I would probably put this into the flybridge. Then later I can add the downstairs screen which will probably be the radar/plotter as there is little price difference between that and the straight plotter.
These two screens in different locations allow me to view radar/plotter/fishfinder plus all the sea talk stuff in both the flybridge and the lower helm ... its a neat solution. One wide area C cartidge would then cover next seasons planned trips.

Paul