Which Orbital Polisher?

Jedder

Visit site
So I've been told I've got to cut back all surfaces on the boat with some super compound and then polish, at least twice, in time for the boat to go in the water this half term.

We have a trimaran :( and my £25 orbital polisher from Halfords is just not going to do the job. My arms and hands go numb from the vibrations after 5 minutes! Can anyone recommend the best polisher for me to use. We also have lots of awkward crevices I need to get into, so it doesn't have to have a massive head.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Christine

VicS

Visit site
Not orbital but this year I bought one of these.

850339.jpg

A variable speed Silverline polisher/sander.

It takes the standard foam compounding mops for using traditional compounding (rubbing) pastes and was supplied with a (hook and loop) backing pad for sanding discs or a lambswool polishing mop (also supplied)

I paid a tad over £50 at a well known chandlery store but they are available for somewhat less if you shop around.

It's the sort of thing I suggest for the job you have in mind but it won't get into tight corners.

sailingawayforayearandaday.blogspot.com
Orbitals wont do it, unless you go for the really expensive ones. Pros usually use rotary machines like VicS one, just be careful you dont buy a rebranded angle-grinder which many compaines sell as polishing machines. It needs to be able to get down to 600-800 rpm for the initial cut, then you'll need at most 1000-1200 rpm for the secondary cut/polish.

You can be very agressive with gelcoat, so make sure you get stuck in with first cut and use a good compound, not a t-cut type car product. The second round is just to remove any swirls you got with the first, so you run the machine at a slightly higher speed using a finer grade compound/polish.

Then whack on a coat of good hard wax to protect from UV and you'll have a hull(s) as good as new.

capetown

Visit site
You did say the best, well this is it, it's expensive, it's not too heavy, as it has the standard 14mm thread you can fit smaller backing plates and sponges, for these I would buy from Flexipads.

Look at the Makita 9227, you will wince at the price.

For smaller areas look at the small Sealey, these are great for your awkward crevices.

Both these machines need some practice, the secret is to keep the mop moving.

Also look at the Kestrel DAS6 polisher, it lacks the grunt of the above but you don't get any swirls, really only for small areas, as I feel it vibrates too much.

Here's to aching muscles :)

KREW2

Visit site
I bought the Dodo Juice spin doctor, it's a very good machine in the mid price range, and it weighs under 2 kilo