Which Make?

gabe63

Visit site
Hi Everyone,
My wife and I are looking to live aboard, and are looking at yachts but we have a few things we need. Firstly the boat needs to be 35ft+ in lenght, 11ft+ beam and 6ft+ headroom, the budget is upto £53000, so could anybody recommend a particular make of yacht.

Regards,

Gabriel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

macd

Visit site
Almost any 35-footer built in the last 30 years will have the other dimensions you require. A huge number will be within your budget. You could even get a brand new Bavaria at close to that price.

I think you need to refine your requirements before the forum can offer much by way of useful advice. Where do you plan on living aboard? What sort of sailing might you do, and in what sort of climate? Crossing oceans, or just relatively short hops? How many people would typically be aboard? Monohull or cat? Are you seeking a pure sailing vessel or motorsailer? Deck saloon or conventional layout? And so on.

The more such info you're able to offer, the more helpful the responses will be.

And treat one-make recommendations with a pinch of salt. I like Rivals (see biog), but I wouldn't dream of offering such a bare and parochial recommendation. Most of us like our own boats. That sometimes includes glossing over their faults.

Incidentally it's considered bad form to place the same post on more than one forum. Some folk seem to get quite upset about it (for reasons which escape me).

Good luck with the quest.

Goldie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Incidentally it's considered bad form to place the same post on more than one forum. Some folk seem to get quite upset about it (for reasons which escape me).

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, this post was posted on Scuttlebutt and the advice received was for it to be posted here (to benefit from the infinite wisdom to be found here.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Welcome gabe63.

lyralicious

Thailand. Recovering from what felt like the longe
www.patreon.com
We ended up with an Oyster 435, which perfectly suits our particular needs.
However, you really are asking "how long's a piece of string?". I spent months trawling through the internet looking at boats and days and days roaming round brokerages and marinas looking at everything available. We want to circumnavigate so chose a sturdy blue water cruiser. If you don't want to cross oceans your choice is wider.
My best advice is to do a huge amount of research before making a decision and think long and hard about what you'll want to do when living aboard.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Let us know how you get on.

Liz

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Go and have a look at as wide a variety of boats that you can, my ideal boat was never on my wish list, despite having sailed some ocean passages and been a live aboard as well as having sailed a very wide variety of boats from Rival/Twisters to Open 30, and many fast light cruiser/racers.