Which lifejackets?

LostinFrance

Visit site
I am going to buy 6 lifejackets for the bot but without wanting to be so mean that I put my wallets health before my family's health, I want to be sure that the more I pay means a better product (no guarantee of that is there?). Anyone have any opinions on the manufacturers offerings? I see Crewsaver are a bit trumpier than Seago or Sigma for example and I have had a Crewsaver for years (the only time I tested it was after 10 years and I did it in a simming pool. It worked).

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Used to have Compass branded ones.
They either went off when it rained or not at all when falling overboard.
Not buying those again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Now have Crewsaver. Misjudged distance to dinghy last year - went swimming - it worked.

Sailfree

Visit site
You will get various opinions but IMHO if I go overboard its most likely due to an accidental gybe and I could be unconscious so I went for an auto inflate (go for pressure activation not soluble tablet) with crotch straps to prevent it riding up.

A good one should include a light and whistle.

After doing the survival course I added a spray hood and a divers stobe light.

Not sure if any make is vastly superior to another so finally with above specification bought on lowest price - in our case crewsaver.

Like everyone I hope it a total waste of money and never needed as in the chain of safety aids it is the one of very last resort.

If you are buying a few you should get a reasonable discount at LIBS.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I think brand is less important than features... which are driven by how you intend to use them....

I would ensure; in order of importance....

Crutch strap.
Sprayhood.
light.

plus look at the size... ie 150n or 175 or 275.... how big are you? do you sail when its really rough? Offshore?

I tend to think that the 150's are proabably not big enough, versus 175 or 200 would be about right I suspect for most of the more lardy types....

Then try some on for comfort, ease of use... remember if it aint comfy, peeps are not gonna be keen....

We have some Crewsavers, and some others as well, all seem ok, I test them every year... no problems so far...

michael_w

Visit site
The straps on Baltic LJs have a cloth panel to stop them getting twisted.

Saves much bad language whilst struggling to get the thing on in a lumpy seaway and with a dodgy shoulder.

flaming

Visit site
If money was no object I would buy the spinlock ones. Every time I see one of those I just think it is a very well designed bit of kit.

atelford

Visit site
On another thought. Seago had to do a product recall recently. Must admit they handled it very well and very quickly. For customer services I will alwazys go with seago. They gave replaced with a better version too.

Sailfree

Visit site
Yes but now the info is readily available to everyone – why if Spinlock hear of your promotion of their products a freebee may be winging its way to you!!

Definitely looks good - I wonder what they are available for at discount price – will look at LIBS

emandvee44

Visit site
I use a lifejacket several times week climbing on and off ships sometimes in not too good sea conditions, and I have done so for 20 years!
As with most safety equipment, you get what you pay for and although some budget priced equipment is undoubtedly good, nevertheless when it comes to the safety of your crew I believe in buying the best, and this usually means the most expensive.

At my last place of work we had 50 auto-inflate lifejackets; they were of the soluble tablet type and very reliable. EVERY year we tested them by personnel donning them and jumping in the harbour; average reaction to inflate time 5 seconds. we never had a failure. We serviced the lifejackets ourselves, which ,when you think about it is better that giving them to a service centre, as the procedure is very simple - takes about ten minutes after training.
Unfortunately, with this type of inflate system, if you sustain a lot of spray, they can inflate - quite exciting.

Most important and often forgotten, crotch straps !!! Absolutely essential !!

I would go for the top of the range, and sleep at night.

Essential features
Auto inflate (Hammar or capsule- your choice)
275 N
Crotch straps
Spray hood

Recommended:-
Built in safety harness

The crewfit 275N @ about £129.95 looks a good buy

Hope this is of some use.

Michael Harvey - mamma_mia

Resolution

Visit site
I have two Spinlocks, now three years old. Bit of a struggle to get them over your head when dressing with full oilskins etc, but pretty comfortable once on. The "crutch straps" (two) go round the thigh and are vastly easier than most others I have used. No emasculation every time you sit down!!

Other features I consider vital are self-inflating, decent light, and sprayhood.

Due to the price of the Spinlocks, the rest of the crew have to make do with Baltics, which seem fine but a bit bulkier when on.

Oh, and every l/j is clearly numbered on the front so crew can identify the one that they spent a frustrating half hour fitting to their size waist.

Never used this lot in anger, hope never to have to.

gavin_lacey

Visit site
If at boat show have a look at Ocean Passage Plus range marketed by Aladdins Cave. Harness, sprayhood, strap, and discount for light when we bought them 3 years ago. Only go off when you fall in and then very fast. At the time seemed the best spec for sub £100.

Gezzer

Visit site
re Spinlock life jackets, I have had two of them for about 9 months now, I liked the look of them when they first came out, but could not bring myself to part with the £199 each they cost /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But the Marine superstore in port solent were doing a special with the lifejacket, re-arming kit and a release knife for about £170 i think, so I took the plunge

Never regretted it, great bit of kit, so comfortable to wear, well made and with a harness, hood and top notch aquaspec light built in.

I was at the superstore yesterday and noticed they are selling them for £166 now, still expensive but I had others before it, including a compass one that did not go off when SWMBO went in at the marina, she was less than impressed, on examination it fired but did not pierce the gas bottle seal, it just dented it

Heigaro

Visit site
Bought a Kru Sport lifejacket last year:

Very easy to put on
Comfortable to wear
Well clear of back of neck (plus fleece covering)
Comfortable and convenient crutch strap
Spray hood

Absolutely no reason not to wear it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS I know it works - it did!

Dyflin

Visit site
If money is no object, this must be up there with some of the best LJs

Utstyrsmix_Secumar__278911b.jpg

Made by the German company Secumar, the LJ has "an integral emergency radio beacon that couples to an on-board receiver, alarm and direction finding antenna. In an overboard emergency, the alarm is sounded immediately and the ship can be steered quickly and accurately back to the casualty, gaining valuable time that can save lives. "

blackbeard

Visit site
I had two Crewsavers which chafed through after about 3 years, have other Crewsavers with no sign of chafe. Puzzling, but emphasises the importance of an annual inflation test.

150 vs 275 N - for the moment, unless anyone can persuade me otherwise, I'm going with 150 N. Swimming, and climbing a ladder or into a liferaft, are difficult enough with 150 N and I suspect that with the bigger lifejacket you would not be able to do anything but await rescue. Which is fine if someone is around to rescue you.

Any lifejacket I buy will have an easily used integral spray hood, thigh/crutch straps, a light and an integral harness.

saltwater_gypsy

www.saltwatergypsy.com
I agree with "Flaming". about the Spinlock lifejacket. They have taken all the faults and limitations of common lifejackets and fixed them.
On our boat we have two top of the range lifejackets which are use a lot (wife and I) and others of lesser quality, but still auto with harness, which spend most of their time in the cupboard.
I think the level of use should be factored into your thinking.