which is the better crew member

James

Visit site
You are bringing a 60 foot yacht into an end pontoon (hammerhead - ie at right angles to the other pontoons). You are going to berth port side to the pontoon. Under power, good conditions, crew will have to jump to the low-ish pontoon. One crew member is large-ish, the other fairly athletic, but of differing sialing experience/abilities. Do you choose the better crew member to go to the bow or the stern?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewJ

Visit site
If I understand you correctly, directly in front of your bow is another pontoon, which if you do not stop, you'll impact. If this is correct.
I'd put the the better crewmember over first with the sternline to secure that line first and hopefully arrest the forward motion. (assuming that the boat is not overlong for the "pontoon") This would also cause the boat/bow to swing in nicely parellel to the pontoon. (As an aside, which I found works well for me on my 39' ketch. (the spouse is a bit handicapped). I have rigged a long line, from a bow cleat to a stern cleat. I use this as a spring, but work my way close to the pier/slip and instead of getting her to "leap" across, I "coast" in and I jump across using this line to connect to a cleat on the pier and then can "pull" both the bow and stern in closer, then I tie up my bow and stern lines. I can also arrest the fwd motion using this line. ).

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Trick question eh?

Both to the shrouds / widest point of course. Jumping is specifically warned against and each should step down carefully onto the undoubtebly slippery pontoon.

Next question, who has the bow line, who tends the stern?

I suggest unless there is no wind or tide to complicate matters that you would be better off with one of them securing a spring from amidships for you to motor gently against whilst the breast ropes and fore + aft springs are secured.

In which case give the midships spring AND the stern breast rope to the fit guy, and let lardy see to the bow breast rope.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
don\'t jump!

i absolutely forbid jumping onto pontoons, it's b*****y dangerous. i position a crew member at each end and have them lasso a cleat each. once we are tied on we climb down and secure properly.

the one crew who thought he knew better ended up with toes on the pontoon and fingertips on the toe rail - then got very wet!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Re: don\'t jump!

Quite right - there is in nearly every scenario no need for anyone to leave the boat. We just drop a temporary line off the midships cleat - it is then easy to hold the boat at a sensible angle whilst other lines are rigged. Nobody ever jumps off our boat - the thought of them slipping and winding up between a pontoon and 30 tonnes of boat just doesnt bear thinking about. The only crew I usually have are the boys (8&9) and SWMBO (on the odd occasions she's aboard). I like to keep the boys in sight and on deck, rather than being unsure where they are on a pontoon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re:It won\'t matter

The boat will be stopped by the helmsman and the guys can step down and tie us off without fuss.

Jumping from 60ft yachts onto even the best run marinas is a bit risky. I've seen two guys put their legs through the planking and more amusing was the guy who did the complete Torville & Dean, the pontoon being slick with goose s**t, and came to rest head first down the fender clevage of another yacht.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
1 crew has bow line, 1 crew has stern line, both are in midships position. Helm STOPS boat alongside and both STEP OFF. Never jump onto a pontoon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Re: don\'t jump!

Same again.

Although only 12 tonnes, no one jumps off our boat either - apart from minor accidents the consequences of person between boat and pontoon don't bear thinking of (has been fatal). If it is a case of someone having to get off (many berths here have rings, not cleats, so is difficult getting a line on them from on board), if we do not get the boat positioned and semi-pinned so they can get off safely, we back off and bring the boat in again for a better shot.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_bagshaw

Visit site
As it is a 60 footer, no body should jump, as your skill will enable a smooth approach & stop giving plenty of time for a central bollard to be usedf if available. & if not time to catch fore & aft ropes.

put the experianced crew at the place you can see least well or near the prop if operating from a wheelhouse.

<hr width=100% size=1>David
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.euroboating.net>http://www.euroboating.net</A>

James

Visit site
THANKS ALL see message

Thank you.
I was crew for the delivery company (at the stern as it happened - he was quite certain that was where he wanted me). I was curious to know whether the skipper viewed me or "lardy" as the better crew member.
It is interesting to note that this supposedly experienced skipper wanted us both to jump, and he was pretty agitated at the whole docking thing, yet his cv states all the qualifications and 100 000 plus sea miles. He wasn't full of praise at any point of the trip (F8 at times, everything broke etc etc). Stuff him.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
We haven\'t finished yet - this could run for days!

Agree with most of the other posts really - I think its for the helm to stop the boat where he/she wants it then we can get people to step onto the pontoon and go quietly about their respective jobs. We always do a temporary midships job then at least we are not likely to go very far. 2 of us aboard most of the time so we need to get it right first time every time. Which we do, most of the time. Lets not talk about the Oban yachts debacle just now

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

James

Visit site
Don\'t apologize

Lardy summed the other crew member up just about right.
Made me laugh to hear it too.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Both crew to the widest part of the boat near shrouds with more experienced up-tide (if significant). Crew look for cleats whilst waiting for helm to put them alongside then step ashore NO JUMPING. Both go to cleats nearest respective ends of boat, smartish if being blown off and make a turn round cleat. Crew face each other and range or sweat lines to bring her correctly lined up fore and aft alongside then up- tide man makes up spring to centre cleat followed by opposite number.

That's how my godsons do it, with more experienced crew it's never anywhere near as tidy! The only two things which are important is no jumping and no shouting. I always think it's worth a "well done" provided we aren't too deeply embedded in the pontoon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

penfold

Visit site
Re: We haven\'t finished yet - this could run for days!

Oban yachts debacle? Have you been upsetting the brothers Fitzgerald? Or did their ramshackle pontoon finally drift away/fall apart? We must be told! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>What in the wide, wide world of sports is goin' on here?

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Re: We haven\'t finished yet - this could run for d

How you deal with it depends also on the freeboard relative to the pontoon.

It may be a matter of pride to handle it with your crew, but if you are paying for a marina berth for a 60 footer, the marina should send soemone down to take your lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
It all depends upon their hearing abilities when the shouting starts. No, for crissaskes etcetc - the big crewmember soiunds a bit handy so will probly react badly to this. Use the athletic one who will think that being dragged back into the briny whilst getting an earful is quite standard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
Try this?

It is possible for just 2 people to berth large boats?

Ingrediants:
Midships cleat
Midships fairlead
Spinacker block (type that can be clipped to the toe rail)
Suitable length of dock line
Winch
Suitable cleat on pontoon approx. midships position.

Setting it up.
Tie one end of dock line to ships cleat.
Place spinaker block 12-18" astern of fairlead.
Lead out dock line through fairlead.
Create suitable loop and lead back through spinaker block.
Take end of dock line and pass twice round primary winch.
Leave bitter end near to helm.

Method.

Helm is driving boat and has bitter end of line near by.
Crew has large loop of line in hand, passing outside of everything, waits to STEP off boat.
Helm stops boat and puts engine in neutral when alongside.
Crew steps off and places loop over pontoon cleat.
Helm pulls on bitter end.
Boat slides (sideways) very nicely into position, pontoon cleat to ships cleat.
Both helm and crew position boat in final resting place.

Theory
You have 2.1 advantage on pulling the line
Just think of how much line pressure a crew can excert when running standard spinaker setup?
I have used this method on boats up to 15 tons and it always works a treat.

<hr width=100% size=1>