Which coolant

stownsend

Visit site
Morning

Just a quick one, I've got a Volvo Penta MD2020D, looking to change the coolant out, I know not to use IAT coolant but which one is suitable if I was in Halfords! They have a silicate based one .. blue in colour, would this be the right one ?

Cheers

Stu

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Morning

Just a quick one, I've got a Volvo Penta MD2020D, looking to change the coolant out, I know not to use IAT coolant but which one is suitable if I was in Halfords! They have a silicate based one .. blue in colour, would this be the right one ?

Cheers

Stu

If it's an old engine design isn't the IAT coolant the one you are looking for and OAT coolant the one you might want to avoid? :confused:

Richard

VicS

Visit site
Morning

Yes its the conventional, silicate type for older engines that you require, not the long life, organic acid technology (OAT) type.
Halfords own brand is coloured blue.

If your water supply is hard or high in dissolved solids you should dilute it with distilled water or buy it ready diluted .

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Thanks both, sorry RichardS, too many acronyms, yes, not use the OAT type.

VicS - not sure on the water type, I think its medium so will play safe and get ready mixed. Along the lines, would this be the one, http://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...e/halfords-silicate-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5l ?

Thanks for all your help...

Cheers

Stu

Yes that one should be fine.

If its not on the shelf......... its mostly the modern OATs and antifreezes to special vehicle manufacturers specs that are on display ......... ask at the parts counter.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Top tip - wter from a dehumidifer or tumble dryer is as soft as a baby's blanket

Something of a thread drift coming up. In Greece the tap water is typically very hard, containing high levels of dissolved salts that make it undrinkable in some places. We bought a General Ecology filter a few years ago which makes most tap water, filled into our tank, perfectly drinkable. A consequence for us has been that visits to the dentist are now less uncomfortable than previously, as neither of us has the tartar deposits that used to take our dentist considerable time to remove.

We use the premixed antifreeze in Greece but this is far less of a consideration at home, where our water is very soft.

peteK

Visit site
Yes that one should be fine.

If its not on the shelf......... its mostly the modern OATs and antifreezes to special vehicle manufacturers specs that are on display ......... ask at the parts counter.

Tesco sell an antifreeze which says is suitable for all engines,new or old I think its yellow in colour

VicS

Visit site

Suffolk Punch

Visit site
I have just re antifreezed my old Perkins 4108s with the blue stuff. Much better and cheaper to buy concentrated antifreeze/coolant and mix it with distilled water (which is cheap).
I always get the feeling that when you get shafted by Halfords for ready mixed stuff, half of what you pay is for a couple of quids worth of distilled water.

VicS

Visit site
I have just re antifreezed my old Perkins 4108s with the blue stuff. Much better and cheaper to buy concentrated antifreeze/coolant and mix it with distilled water (which is cheap).
I always get the feeling that when you get shafted by Halfords for ready mixed stuff, half of what you pay is for a couple of quids worth of distilled water.

If you actually compare Halfords prices for concentrate, ready diluted and distilled water you will find that in filling a MD2020, which was the subject of the thread, with ready diluted you have been "shafted", to the tune of about 40p. Perhaps worth this much for the convenience of not having to dilute it yourself

Suffolk Punch

Visit site
Good point Vic, though I did look in Halfords first and then bought 20 litres of concentrated for £39 from Euro Parts which means I did both Perkies on my boat and kept a gallon of mixed as spare, my Fiat Scudo van and I'll be using the rest up in my brothers VW T4.
I just think it pays sometimes to shop around...anyway 40p will get you a packet of Cheezy Wotsits.
Sorry for the thread drift.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If you actually compare Halfords prices for concentrate, ready diluted and distilled water you will find that in filling a MD2020, which was the subject of the thread, with ready diluted you have been "shafted", to the tune of about 40p. Perhaps worth this much for the convenience of not having to dilute it yourself

Over here on the East coast 40p is a significant saving Vic. :)