Which cabin lights?

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
I'm thinking of replacing my cabin lights. I have the old type where you rotate the lens to turn it on. They've got LED replacement bulbs in but they're a bit old and temperamental and I've been looking for a replacement sealed LED type, surface mounted. Everything I've found needs holes cutting in the teak head liner to recess part of the back of the light, and nowhere for the wires to be housed. When I take the existing lights off I'm left with a small hole with the wires sticking out and I don't want to have to start cutting into the teak. Has anyone found anything that is surface mounting? Thanks!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Similar situation. I had teak rings made to recess the LEDs into and hide the hole in the headlining. The end effect was very pleasing and significantly lower level, more flush than the old lights, but less flush than if the LED had fitted the original hole. My boat has a darker interior, hence teak worked for me, but other materials or wood choices could be used.

To be honest, in a couple of places the headlining was replaced and the LEDs mounted in correctly sized holes looked naff, hence the teak ring was used there as well, although not needed.

In my kitchen we bought special white painted rings to house LEDs in holes in lath and plaster sealing which were oversized. They too looked good. Similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/PATIKIL-Di...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2QKIRI1BQFJRO