Which Boat's Best?

G

Which Boat\'s Best?

Having taken heart from the replies to Mfc's recent post I feel confident enough to ask my next stupid question:

Which boat is best?

I'm sure there'll be some strong opinions and I know its pretty judgemental but, being new to the scene, should (hopefully) provide some excellent pointers to what to consider when buying.

H

ps...... replies with reasons/explainations would be preferred, trather than just 'mine' :)

tcm

Visit site
Re: Be specific!

Impossible to answer. Like asking which road vehicle is best. Best value, ultimate quality, relaibilty, price range, volume, and so on .

How big a boat do you plan?

G

tcm

it was meant to be be non-specific to get a nice broad range of opinion.

Hoping to get answers like

A Princess xxx because the cabin layout's the best in its class

or... A Fairline xxx because its got a good helm layout.

For the record I'm looking for a boat around 30 to 45 ft, used, budget to £120k, reliability important as is accom comfort,

cheers

H

KevB

Visit site

A Fairline Turbo 36 is a very social boat with loads of room and built like the proverbial. Must have the BIG engine option tho, 306's I think.
A big factor in your choice will be whether you want a fly bridge or sports cruiser. Fly bridge = much more accomodation, sports cruiser = looks sexier.

KevB

Visit site
Re: Which Boat\'s Best?

The most important thing about buying a boat is having somewhere to put it. A friend recently tried to get into Chichester Marina and was told he is #194 on the waiting list.
Generally the bigger the boat the harder to find somewhere to keep it.

BarryD

Visit site

For £120k IMHO I'd have thought an early Broom CL35 would be good. Like a Turbo 36 in layout but no inside driving position - more a cockpit like a sports boat. Massive freeboard so I presume it will go sideways in any wind...

BTW I think you post is too generic - have to tell us what you are going to use it for and where you want to base it as well.

Barry D

G

Would base it in the med and would be used for hols for myself, friends and family.

Am tending towards a flybridge model due to space requirements and would want a med spec ie a/c etc

H

tcm

Visit site
Re: oho

120k will be fine to buy a berth. How much do you want to spend on the boat? :)

ahem. Flybridge boats, imho, are great for UK wheere iffy weather means a good indoor place is needed al the time, but don't give enuf outdoor space for lounging about. 50foot-wise, for example, everyone always came to sit on our sports cruiser, and left there own boat with foldy chairs behind.

But anyway, that's never convinced anyone!

So, it's not "best boat" but "best 40 foot flybridge boat for 120k in the med". Princees are well though-of, but at this price range it's definitely 2nd hand, and as not-very mass produced items there are gooduns and baduns. Fairly good resale, I think. Fairlines too. With aircon, you'll need a generator, else no lecky whilst at anchor, hence no air. Keep soem money spare for buying proper mattresses plus 4k a year for maintenance, 6 k for a berth, plus fixing the boat.

Are you planning to use the boat a lot? I'd guess not, otherwise you'd be more specific. In my humble opinion (imho) it ain't worth buying unless you spend over 4/5 weeks on the boat - less than that and you can charter more cheaply overall, trying several boats actually in the med.

Whatever you buy, the berthing is vital. You can specify that you won't buy unless you can stay in that berth - if you don't mention it, they won't offer.

Note also, berthing wise, that there's no "queue" . Completely diferent from queue-mad brits where you can stay in lymington till you're dead and probly long after. In med, any berthowner can chuck out a bertholder (renter) at end of contract, or if no contrat then with a month's notice and they do. If I sold you a boat, frexample, I'd say ok you can stay there year one. But next year with more boats to sell, I'd say bye bye, nope sorry can't renew, others buying other boats need a berth too.

So, PM me if you want to buy a berth. Try chartering if not done so already. Then, buy nice-looking "known" boat with the biggest engine options from someowe whom you vaguly like, and who can offer a berth yards from their office if something goes wrong. Take them a bottle of whiskey at start of season and you will be God, and praps get berth next year too.

byron

RIP
Visit site

GBs are nice boats but Roly Poly and the bulk of them tend to be under 10 knot boats although there are a few faster ones but not on a 120k budget. Great boat just as a live aboard though.

ô¿ô

G

Re: oho

Thanks

All good advice. Think I will be chartering a couple of times this season, looking around seriously towards the end of summer and 'taking the plunge' next season.

Unless, of course, a bargain presents itself!

btw - are you based in the med?

H

stewart

Visit site

Dont do the flybridge thing! Bought a sports cruiser last year, kept in Mallorca and didn't sit inside ever until November - go for the biggest cockpit you can get with ice maker and definitely air con (not in the cockpit). I can't emphasise the space thing enough, the whole experience just feels so much more comfortable and relaxing.

Another 10k on your budget will buy Sunseeker Camargue 46, 10 years old or a similar age Princess Riviera 46 which has more space but not as nice looking. If you want a bit newer you can probably get Fairline targa 37 or something like that.

rodbin

Visit site

Hi
Have had 6 different boats in Med, fly bridge and open cockpit. Definitely prefer the latter. Fly bridge isolated me from the lady wife and took too long to help out with aborted moorings. Also we found we could not keep people out of the lounge with wet cosies etc. If you want a floating appartment then okay but I prefer the party feel of open cockpit. I am selling a Targa 36 which I have owned for 6 years have had four Fairline and can not fault them except do not like the new forty with silly garage for tender. So have now bought Princess 42. Princess seem to have stolen the edge over Fairline over the last few years but I guess Fairline owner would disagree. But you could say I can not be biassed as I currently own a Fairline and a Princess.
If you can get a fresh water flushing toilet far more important than air con. because of heat and soupy marina water the smell from sulphur build up in pipe can be bad. had fresh water loo fitted last year its great.
regards
rodbin

rodneyb1647