Where to place my shaft anode?

Irish Rover

Visit site
My boat is on the hard for antifouling etc and I'm planning to replace the anodes - propellor, rudder and shaft. I took the old anodes off one side to source new ones and I marked the position by putting 2 cable ties at either end. I returned today to find the painters had removed the cable ties and the anodes from the other side in order to sand and paint. So now I'm wondering does it matter where I place the anode on the shaft? Stupid question, I know, but I'd rather ask a stupid question of the forum experts than find I'd made some stupidly obvious mistake when the boat is back in the water.20240723_161503.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
I echo what everyone else says....close to the P bracket.....about a couple of inches or more away....in other words close to the things you are trying to protect

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Despite my son constantly telling to photograph everything before you remove it, I didn't. I'll measure the shaft tomorrow but I think it's probably around a 90/100 cm from the cutlass bearing to the P bracket and I'd say the anodes were fitted on both sides around ¹/³ distance from the P bracket or 30/35 cm from it. If I hadn't lost the markings that's where I would have refitted them. So I'm taking it the General wisdom is the go much closer to the P bracket.

Bouba

Visit site
I always used lock nuts/nil stops instead of the regular nuts supplyed, after a long crossing with a loose one clattering into the P-bracket, mid winter Sardina to Barcelona is not the time for a quick dip to see what's going on.
I agree.....choose your anodes very carefully as well.....they are not precision machined and often the two halves don’t match....sometimes you need a few sets on the chandler’s shelf to find two matching halves

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I always used lock nuts/nil stops instead of the regular nuts supplyed, after a long crossing with a loose one clattering into the P-bracket, mid winter Sardina to Barcelona is not the time for a quick dip to see what's going on.
Use the two hammer method and they will.never come undone. Bang the two halves of the anode together with a hammer in each hand. Tighten the bolts. Repeat until the bolts will no.longer tighten.