Where to locate a new Spinnaker Guy turning block

Channel Sailor

Visit site
Hi

I am looking for advise please from formites as the best location for a turning block that could be used for a Tweaker or a Guy. The side deck looks like this. Photo0521.jpg
It is a fractional rig so the mast is slightly fwd of the shrouds.

As you can imagine because of deck drilling and access issues to the deck underside I would like to get it right first time. There is no toe rail to try it out various positions.

While at a pontoon I have test rigged a Guy to various pole positions and as a consequence I was thinking of a position very close to and slightly inboard of the 1st stanchion aft of the shrouds, 30mm fwd and 30mm inboard of the stanchion. This is not quite the widest part of the yacht. At this location the pole can be positioned fairly close to the forestay before the Guy fouls the fwd stanchion.

My questions are: what are the Pro's and Con's of having the Guy turning block further fwd or aft, have I got the right idea with this location and will it work in this same location for a Tweaker instead of a Guy?

flaming

Visit site
Can't see anything obviously wrong with that location. Should be no difference tweaker and guy. Don't worry too much about the guy fouling the forward stantion, the sideways load is actually pretty minimal.

lw395

Visit site
Won't you need the turning block much further aft when you bring the pole back on a run?

Channel Sailor

Visit site
Thanks for the prompt responses already. Having never sailed it with a guy in that position I don't know. Hence Putting the question here. What I can see is that if I move the block aft a little then because there is no toe rail to mount the block on it ends up with the guy fouling the very close stanchion when on a reach. My not very inexperienced thinking is further forward would help keep the pole low when I need it low. further info is the pole downhaul turning block on the deck is fairly close to the mast step, as opposed to central on foredeck as it maybe is on some yachts.

Racecruiser

Visit site
Won't you need the turning block much further aft when you bring the pole back on a run?

The guy will be angled up and out to the pole end but should be ok especially if you use single sheets/guys with tweaker lines - if you are uncomfortable with the angle ease the tweaker line although a good rule of thumb is keep the guy snug to the deck in most conditions.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Between a quarter and a third of the way between the shrouds and the aft of the boat is where they are usually found. I suspect further forward is better than further aft since you do need the downwards force from it.

Visit site
Mine were placed by the boat builder aft of the shrouds and between a foot and two feet forward of the widest part of the hull. And like you my downhaul comes to the foot of the mast, to a block on a U shaped piece of rod pivotting on the bottom of the mast.

Dont go too far forward. Less of an issue with a tweaker but with a guy you need a decent angle of pull when going dead downwind and with the pole at right angles to the boat.

Other threads that may be of interest