Where to charter on the French canals???

skipmac

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard
Visit site
Want to do a one to two week charter on the French canals but where? I've been reading about this for years but there are hundreds of miles of canals and I'm learning, dozens of boat hire bases.

Our plan.

This will be a family cruise, me and the wife, daughter and hubby and two grand kids who will be 1 and 3 when we go. Current plan is early spring, targeting end of May. Have found a couple of charter operations with three cabin boats that should work for the crew. We do want a self drive, not crewed.

Preferences.

Would like to avoid the mobs. Of course I understand if there is a boat hire operation then there will be other boats around but don't want it to be like the A2 in the afternoon. Ideal would be a trip through quite, scenic countryside, access to some small town markets for shopping and occasional nice dinner out. Maybe friendly citizens that will invite us in and make us part of the family. Well, maybe that last bit is asking too much.

So any questions for me about our plan or any other things I need to take into consideration? If not what recommendations on which part of France, what river or canal we should pick considering the season and preferences. Also any recommendations on which company to deal with? We are looking for something nice, not an old banger.

By the way, I have searched and read a number of previous threads on the forum about the canals but did not find one specifically on boat hire and area. If there is a previous discussion on this, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Canal du Midi at that time of year will have the best climate and will provide what you want. Le Boat (which is a UK owned firm) is probably the biggest operator.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Tranona may be correct about the weather but the Midi is not the most interesting or attractive to holiday. We spent some weeks in autumn around Briare in our motorhome and thought it a most attractive area on the canal. Lots to see and do in the area.

[3889]

Visit site
My sole charter experience was the Charente from Angouleme to Cognac and back in a week. Enough locks to make it interesting but not tedious and plenty of interesting places to see. Ideal if you like brandy.

skipmac

Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Have read recommendations for le Boat as a good company to deal with. They do seem to be one of the largest as well so I would guess lots of options and backups in case we arrive and the boat we chose is broken down or otherwise unavailable.

That brings up the question, is the business completely run by large operations with many locations and standard boats or are there any smaller, more specialty companies that might have something more interesting like renting a Dutch barge boat or similar?

Regarding the weather, that is something that is a concern for me. Last week of May is our compromise. I think (hope) it's late enough and close enough to June to get warmer temps. A couple of travel websites I researched indicated that on average this should be so (yes I know, it's weather and who knows and I'm not going to mention climate change). Unfortunately the timing is limited by my son-in-law's schedule. His business demands are well, demanding in the warmer months (he's a building contractor) and June is the start of tuna fishing (he's a fanatic fisherman). If May weather seems potentially problematic for the area we choose maybe I can prevail on my daughter to apply a little coercion in that regard; she doesn't fish.

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
The Canal du Nivernais is certainly one of the most beautiful in France. We hired there a few years ago and loved it. Several operators hire there including le Boat. We went with a firm called AquaFluvial who were much cheaper. The countryside is stunning and there is little or no commercial traffic. Clamecy is a lovely town and Auxerre a very interesting small City.

Following that trip we sold our sailing boat and bought a motor boat which we now keep in the French inland waterways. Sadly our boat is a little too tall to get beyond Auxerre and onto the Nivernais - but we have great memories of that trip and have still not found any inland waterway more attractive.

Arcady

Visit site
We did the Lot late last year with Le Boat. It was delightful. We’ve also done the Midi in our own boat and personally, I thought it was both scenic and historically interesting.

skipmac

Visit site

skipmac

Visit site
The Canal du Nivernais is certainly one of the most beautiful in France. We hired there a few years ago and loved it. Several operators hire there including le Boat. We went with a firm called AquaFluvial who were much cheaper. The countryside is stunning and there is little or no commercial traffic. Clamecy is a lovely town and Auxerre a very interesting small City.

Following that trip we sold our sailing boat and bought a motor boat which we now keep in the French inland waterways. Sadly our boat is a little too tall to get beyond Auxerre and onto the Nivernais - but we have great memories of that trip and have still not found any inland waterway more attractive.

Thank you. Have been looking at photos of the Nivernais and it does look lovely. The map showed me that this is in north central France. What are your thoughts on typical weather (if such a thing exists) in that area the last week of May?

skipmac

Visit site
We did the Lot late last year with Le Boat. It was delightful. We’ve also done the Midi in our own boat and personally, I thought it was both scenic and historically interesting.

So did you like one or the other better?

I have seen comments that the Midi can be crowded but of course different people have different interpretations of crowded. Regardless, I could put up with a little crowded for a lot of scenic and historic, as long as crowded doesn't mean waiting in lines, delays at the locks or what have you.

skipmac

Visit site
We recently watched this Great Canal Journeys episode:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-canal-journeys/on-demand/65396-004

Marne - Rhine, beautiful.

Richard

Thanks Richard. Could see the videos but have not yet been able to get them to play. Could be a region blocking thing since I'm over here and the videos are over there. I was able to find some other photos and videos of the Marne-Rhine and it looks pretty spectacular.

I think I may be running into a plethora of riches.

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
Thank you. Have been looking at photos of the Nivernais and it does look lovely. The map showed me that this is in north central France. What are your thoughts on typical weather (if such a thing exists) in that area the last week of May?

We went in Mid September and the weather in late May would probably be similar - pleasant and quite warm during the day, but a bit cool in the evenings. We did use the heater on the boat a couple of times. We had one day of light rain, apart from that it was beautiful. Of course, similar conditions cannot be guaranteed!

A few years later we got to Auxerre in our own boat in August, and it was much too hot.

skipmac

Visit site
We went in Mid September and the weather in late May would probably be similar - pleasant and quite warm during the day, but a bit cool in the evenings. We did use the heater on the boat a couple of times. We had one day of light rain, apart from that it was beautiful. Of course, similar conditions cannot be guaranteed!

Oh gee, and I was looking for a guarantee for the weather. Seriously, that does sound just right to me.

A few years later we got to Auxerre in our own boat in August, and it was much too hot.

For someone that spends most of his time in Florida where August temps are usually 35C (and 80-90% humidity) and can go higher I doubt France would seem that warm to me at any time.

Arcady

Visit site
So did you like one or the other better?

Both different, both enjoyable. The Lot felt more remote: smaller villages, few opportunities for dining ashore. It is however stunningly pretty and tranquil. We had two weeks in mid September and the weather was fine for much of the time.

The Midi was a little different. We were transiting as quickly as possible and I kept wishing we could have spent time exploring the bigger and more numerous stops along the way. There's a lot of history on that route to enjoy. It was May, and the hire boats were in evidence, but not too many of them and very seldom did we have to queue for locks. Even at the popular Fonseranne staircase at the weekend, we waited no more than a couple of lock-cycles.

I'd happily go back to either and spend more time again.