Where can I get fleece trousers?

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Sailed from Ramsgate to the Hamble on Thursday, and I dont think I have ever been so cold. So I need to upgrade my wardrobe in a few places. One thing I am really looking for is some warm trousers. I have good oilskins and good thermals, but would like something decent in between. Years ago I had some great fleece trousers- Regatta maybe? They don't seem to exist any more though.

I was wearing Carhartt lined trousers under my oilskins but they are thick, made of cotton, don't dry fast and are a bit bulky. So what can you recommend, please? Doesn't have to be yachty gear, but something warm, lightish and quick drying.

ICTM

Visit site
Buffalo Special 6 trousers. They do a top as well, comes as a smock/vest or zip up jacket. Designed to be worn next to the skin but can be worn on top of a base layer. Excellent kit.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Buffalo Special 6 trousers. They do a top as well, comes as a smock/vest or zip up jacket. Designed to be worn next to the skin but can be worn on top of a base layer. Excellent kit.

+1 first class kit that I've used at work since the last millennium. My wife however favours the lined craghoppers which are also good if rather less robust.

Blue Sunray

Visit site

Gwylan

Visit site
How I love this site when it works.

My low level solutions are Lidl or Aldi thermal trousers or and a Lidl thermal boiler suit. Never tried a Transat in them but for coastal runs they work.

Any consolation we bailed out on Friday afternoon and went back to Ramsgate. Freezing cold with hail and joyful sunshine. But the wind remains out of the north and chilling.

Dab

Visit site
I have got a pair of Gill i4 fleece salopettes. They don't have a shell like Buffalo gear but I wear them as a mid layer. I am thinking about trading up to a pair of Crosswind salopettes, which have a water proof outer, so would be a bit more versatile- they seem to be a similar price to Buffalo trousers.

Neeves

Visit site
It is surely the wrong time of year to buy 'thermal' kit in the UK.

Another vote for merino.

Helly Hansen did thermal long johns, polar fleece sort, any ski/climbing shop will sell thermals, merino or fleece, even M&S did merino - but most of this stuff is on the shelves for winter. Best option is come here - we are gearing up for winter :). It was, is, a chilly 12 degrees at 8am and I'm told by our Bur of Met - it feels like 8 degrees.

Jonathan

Daverw

Visit site
Try a paddling shop, I used what we called seal skin, this was a thin fleece with a latex outer layer, warm and wind proof but thin, used to get strange looks though when out dressed paddling in black latex trousers and top

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Just in case you haven't thought of them, Asda do some thermal underwear that act as a great base layer, if budget is a consideration.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
What did you have on your feet?

My personal set up for cold weather sailing is Craghoppers winter bags, my much beloved Rohan disintegrated after 30 years of use and the replacement cost was just silly, mohair socks from [https://corrymoor.com/] expensive but brilliant, and a decent sea boot. Lots of layers on the torso, often 2 or three tee shirts, a shirt and one or two fleece jumpers, a good scarf or fleece headover, a good hat and gloves. All covered by a good set of oilskins.

If it is very cold I add a pair of long-johns, cotton works for me but others will say use some uber high tech wicking base layer.

Don't forget lots of hot drinks and chocolate biscuits.

DoubleEnder

Visit site