Where are all the boats?

prestomg27

Visit site
So in the 30 plus years that I've been sailing kn the East Coast, I've never seen so few boats on the water. I know it's early in the season and the weather hasn't been great but it seems completely empty. Last weekend for example, not bad weather but apart from a small racing fleet the Crouch was empty of sailing boats.

Talking to people working at the marina, they were saying the sane thing. Yet the marina itself is absolutely full up, which it hasn't been for a few years.

So what is going on?

1) I'm getting curmudgeonly in my old age and am remembering a false golden past with a coast full of sailing boats?
2) all the people who bought boats during the pandemic don't actually use them?
3) people are waiting till July and August ?

Dave 71

Visit site
Probably a combination of things - weather hasn't been great as you say. Don't know where on the Crouch you're based, but Fambridge have been re-piling the pontoons which has delayed quite a lot of launches. I went out, briefly, and under engine only last Sunday, there was a sizable fleet of dinghies racing, at least a dozen, 3 yachts passed me heading upstream under sail and there were three of four under sail further down near Bridgemarsh. Quite a few people on moored boats, who looked like they were generally sorting things out and getting ready.

Mister E

Visit site
I was about to take the boat out yesterday all ready to go but the engine would not start.
I think it is a fuel problem so now waiting 2 weeks for parts.

Visit site
We were out on Sunday. May have been on of the four boats Dave passed heading back to Burnham from Fambridge. We passed the sizeable dinghy fleet. Definitely looked to be more activity but the weather still wasn’t great.

lustyd

Visit site
I'd guess most of them are in the solent. There were thousands out every time we've been out. What you might be seeing is the effect of multiple bank holidays, meaning people aren't going out on other weekends

Concerto

Visit site
In Chatham, I was talking to an owner last week who wanted to have his boat lifted. No can do until some more boats are launched from the boatyard as they do not have space for his boat. For the end of May, I have never seen so many boats still in the yard. I cannot comment about how many are out sailing as I am currently working on my boat in the marina, but the lock is being fairly regularly being used. However I have only seen single boats in th lock, not multiples.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Currently, 11:00am, temperature gauge at Slaughden, River Alde is showing 11degC ( with 'feels like' at 8degC ).
A lot of people around here are day sailors. They take friends and family out for lunch at anchor or such like.
I know it has been difficult for many boat owners to get any paint/varnish jobs done when they have a distance to travel and the temperature is too low
for stuff to go off. Maybe ? Also owners have sold due to lack of use, age and rising costs.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Think it's the weather myself - persistent cold E , N or NE winds and strong too at times, never seen, or experienced so many strong wind warnings. I have been out quite a few times bundled up in enough clothes to make you think it still winter and sometimes wondering why I bothered to launch in April this year.

Mataji

Visit site
It’s the same on the upper Thames. Lock keepers say they’ve never seen it so quiet at this time of year. Weather has been great for the last 10 days too.

steveeasy

Visit site
It’s all a bit odd. You lot keep posting how busy marinas are , and they keep phoning me with spaces. Some of them want stupid money.
Given I know have to travel 300 miles I’m reducing my trips due to cost. Partly cos I’ve had 3 months off. Bloody annoying though as I’ve places to sail too. Give or take a bit I suspect on the whole everyone is in the same boat!!

Steveeasy

Aja

Visit site
So in the 30 plus years that I've been sailing kn the East Coast, I've never seen so few boats on the water. I know it's early in the season and the weather hasn't been great but it seems completely empty. Last weekend for example, not bad weather but apart from a small racing fleet the Crouch was empty of sailing boats.

Talking to people working at the marina, they were saying the sane thing. Yet the marina itself is absolutely full up, which it hasn't been for a few years.

So what is going on?

1) I'm getting curmudgeonly in my old age and am remembering a false golden past with a coast full of sailing boats?
2) all the people who bought boats during the pandemic don't actually use them?
3) people are waiting till July and August ?

Never seen the west coast (of Scotland) as full of AIS signals than it is today. Must be the latest 'in thing'.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Just look at the Solent. Full of AIS even when the boat is in a marina. I've got AIS and use it, but once moored up or at anchor it gets turned off.

I am the same - sort off.
I do turn it off when berthed alongside in a marina, however, I do leave AIS on when at anchor.
What's the rational behind turning AIS off when at anchor? :unsure:

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
I am the same - sort off.
I do turn it off when berthed alongside in a marina, however, I do leave AIS on when it anchor.
What's the rational behind turning AIS off when at anchor? :unsure:
Save power as it is a class B plus and I have limited 'generation'. My normal type of anchorages are shallow and sheltered. If I was moored in deep water or somewhere a bit unusual I would possibly leave it on.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Think it's the weather myself - persistent cold E , N or NE winds and strong too at times, never seen, or experienced so many strong wind warnings. I have been out quite a few times bundled up in enough clothes to make you think it still winter and sometimes wondering why I bothered to launch in April this year.
Spent first overnight this season. It was cold without a heater. I agree that the main reason looks like being the weather this spring. On the plus side recent years, the autumns have been good and have enjoyed extended sailing.