when will these keels be ready to fall off

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Look, Dylan, either you employ a surveyor or you start learning about the boats. It's no good listening to gossip from people who have never owned or sailed one.

Talk to people who have them (not ones that are up for sale!) & ask them. They will tell you if they had a problem what they did about it & probably tell you how much it cost if you ask nicely. People trying to sell their boat will just want to tell you how good it is.

I had a bit of osmosis on mine & I got fed up with repairing the then 35 yo MD2b, as I had recently taken voluntary redundancy I threw a bundle of money at it & had a new Yanmar 3YM30 professionally installed & a proper strip, dry & re-gelcoat done. Cost me about the same as I had originally paid for the boat (some 20 years earlier), but virtually gave me a new boat in return. Five years on she is now 40 years old & utterly reliable. But I may need to invest in some sails shortly as they are probably original equipment too.

Keels have some rust pitting & a chip or two (so have clearly seen some action) and the sealant gets "pointed" every few years to keep it looking better, but the keels & bolts have never shown any sign of weakness, movement or even weeping. The stern gland is another issue, I must get a couple of C-spanners & replace the packing this year.

that is exactly why I am asking on here

to get information from people such as your good self - who can always be relied upon for common sense

I have been on the forums enough to know that you have to filter out some of the clutter

I am sure that the ratio of good information to advice completely divorced from first hand experience is no higher here than anywhere elsse

D

dylanwinter

DW lots of info here
http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/guides_6.php
Rudder design changed in Jan 76.

thank you for that

this was interesting (to me anyway) regarding the power units

A variety of engines was offered over the years, with the first brochure talking of "petrol or diesel”. Most of the early boats had the Volvo MD 11, which rated about 16 hp. However, during 1972 Volvo offered Westerly an amazing quantity discount on the MDIIB, 25 hp diesel, which was the "recommended", (and almost the only) engine fitted from then on. Also on offer were the single cylinder MD1B, at 10 hp, the Watermota 4 cylinder 25 hp (later uprated to a massive 30 hp). and the 13 hp, 2 cylinder MD7A. I believe that the smaller engines were offered as standard with the bigger Volvo as a very cheap extra, since there are very few Centaurs with small engines, even though the MD7A would have given a top speed of nearly 6 knots

Last edited:

Storyline

Visit site
I agree with Searush - the history of the boat is important so you can trace previous owners and find out where she has spent the majority of her life. Our Pentland had her keels dropped by Dickies and they said they said there was no sign of movement but she had only been on a drying mooring for a few years. My wife is paranoid about keels so we had some webs (transverse stringers) put in as it was not too expensive. Quite a lot of the Centaurs would have been Part 1 registered so if you are lucky you should be able to trace previous owners.

Puggy

Visit site

dylanwinter

Hi Dylan -why are you moving away from the joy of a small, trailer-able centre board boat? I have always envied your approach, but are you now coming over to the dark side of cranes, moorings and boat yards and all the associate expense?

here is you answer in full

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/scuttlebutt/a-tough-boat-for-a-tough-trip/

but in summary - both my children - ages 22 and 25(architect) have their last long summers coming up

they both want to see Orkney and my son want to sail to Shetland

so Jill said she was not going to miss out

best will in the world four adults (son is 6 foot 3) and possibly a gog will not fit onto Katie L

after this summer I shall be back alone - maybe Jill occasionally

so I shall park Katie L on her trailer - sail the Centaur and then sell the Centaur in a year's time on the West Coast

if it will not sell then I will either give it to my son or give it away

then take Katie L through the caledonian canal (because I want to) and then carry on from there

hope that helps

D

PS - of course if anyone wants to loan me a decent family boat for 18 months so that I do not hafve top cut a yhole in a Centaur

sound of tumbleweed

jono_howlett

Visit site
Hi Dylan,

Have you considered a Snapdragon? Similar size and vintage as a Centaur but with encapsulated
keels; so no chance of them dropping off. Not a common as the Centaur but with the same "old
engine" problem.

jono

clyst

Visit site
here is you answer in full

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/scuttlebutt/a-tough-boat-for-a-tough-trip/

but in summary - both my children - ages 22 and 25(architect) have their last long summers coming up

they both want to see Orkney and my son want to sail to Shetland

so Jill said she was not going to miss out

best will in the world four adults (son is 6 foot 3) and possibly a gog will not fit onto Katie L

after this summer I shall be back alone - maybe Jill occasionally

so I shall park Katie L on her trailer - sail the Centaur and then sell the Centaur in a year's time on the West Coast

if it will not sell then I will either give it to my son or give it away

then take Katie L through the caledonian canal (because I want to) and then carry on from there

hope that helps

D

PS - of course if anyone wants to loan me a decent family boat for 18 months so that I do not hafve top cut a yhole in a Centaur

sound of tumbleweed

Four adults in a centaur with a hole in the cockpit on an extended trip to Shetland and Orkney ?. Best of luck with that one Dylan

Contest1

Visit site
I.v owned my Centaur, my first boat, since 2005 and bought her after much research on line.
Planning a major overhaul this winter but mostly small stuff, apart from the keel strengthening.
The faults are well known to most with an intrest.
My keels are in fairly good nick but theres seepage into the bilges hence my plan to strengthen the bilge cross members and reseal the joints. Mine also has a replacement Yanmar 3GM 30 engine that pushes her along easily enough.
The Centaur that berthed nearby used an outboard mounted on the stern and was recently out tuna fishing of the Cork coast so I assume it worked out ok.
The balanced spade rudder is a joy to helm, and while the generad wisdom suggests the spade design not suitable for the open sea, the Centaur is a strongly made sea boat that is safe and comfortable in rough weather.
I, m still learning but despite plenty of hairy moment's brought about by my lack of experience , I, m convinced my Centaur will always look after me2.
If looking at a B layout, check the bilge under the galley by removing the cupboard devide and bottom, were I found the cross members had started to come away from the hull. I did a temporary repair with some very expensive bonding sikaflex 6 years ago. No problems since then but its been on my mind so this year I, m going for the full monty.
Great boat all in all and I, m just returning the favour by looking after her for a change.

dylanwinter

I.v owned my Centaur, my first boat, since 2005 and bought her after much research on line.
Planning a major overhaul this winter but mostly small stuff, apart from the keel strengthening.
The faults are well known to most with an intrest.
My keels are in fairly good nick but theres seepage into the bilges hence my plan to strengthen the bilge cross members and reseal the joints. Mine also has a replacement Yanmar 3GM 30 engine that pushes her along easily enough.
The Centaur that berthed nearby used an outboard mounted on the stern and was recently out tuna fishing of the Cork coast so I assume it worked out ok.
The balanced spade rudder is a joy to helm, and while the generad wisdom suggests the spade design not suitable for the open sea, the Centaur is a strongly made sea boat that is safe and comfortable in rough weather.
I, m still learning but despite plenty of hairy moment's brought about by my lack of experience , I, m convinced my Centaur will always look after me2.
If looking at a B layout, check the bilge under the galley by removing the cupboard devide and bottom, were I found the cross members had started to come away from the hull. I did a temporary repair with some very expensive bonding sikaflex 6 years ago. No problems since then but its been on my mind so this year I, m going for the full monty.
Great boat all in all and I, m just returning the favour by looking after her for a change.

thanks for that

what outboard did he have on the back

can you remember

and have you ever grounded the rudder and bent it

how hard is it to straighten out again

and one layout is worse than the other

tell me more if you can

I prefer the one with the dinette so that I can set up my editing gear

and the spade rudder might be better for my purposes

Last edited:

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
The dinette version is the A layout. I would check the length of the saloon double bed, I don't know how long it is in the Centaur and I was dissapointed on a Jag 25 I had. A layout = 6 berth.

Mine is a B layout, more room to move about when the table is stowed but I can see you having the table up more than we do. B layout = 5 berth if you make up a double in the saloon which I can't.

The C layout has the galley aft by the companionway, not many about. The seating either side of the dining tabe looks to be a good layout to me but I have never been aboard.
The C layout is the only one with decent cockpit lockers but I believe that access is not easy to the area aft of the galley, I could easy be wrong. C layout = 4 berth max.

Do you have any reason to believe that Centaur rudders are fragile?
If you have found a bent one you (or someone) will have to remove it and get it professionally bent back. The stock is a robust length of stainless.
Rudder bearings seem to need replacing verry occasionally, seen this maybe 3 or 4 times in the 5 years I have been reading the Westerly forums, and that is across all models.
If you hit any rudder hard enough it will be damaged.

dylanwinter

The dinette version is the A layout. I would check the length of the saloon double bed, I don't know how long it is in the Centaur and I was dissapointed on a Jag 25 I had. A layout = 6 berth.

Mine is a B layout, more room to move about when the table is stowed but I can see you having the table up more than we do. B layout = 5 berth if you make up a double in the saloon which I can't.

The C layout has the galley aft by the companionway, not many about. The seating either side of the dining tabe looks to be a good layout to me but I have never been aboard.
The C layout is the only one with decent cockpit lockers but I believe that access is not easy to the area aft of the galley, I could easy be wrong. C layout = 4 berth max.

Do you have any reason to believe that Centaur rudders are fragile?
If you have found a bent one you (or someone) will have to remove it and get it professionally bent back. The stock is a robust length of stainless.
Rudder bearings seem to need replacing verry occasionally, seen this maybe 3 or 4 times in the 5 years I have been reading the Westerly forums, and that is across all models.
If you hit any rudder hard enough it will be damaged.

thanks for that

I did come across one bent rudder post on a forum so I was just finding out if there are any potential snags

thanks also for the info on the layouts

not sure if I will be in a position to choose although I will be releasing a lot of great storage space when the engine and fuel tank gets thrown out

thanks chaps

all pointers towards candidate boats in the back of yards gratefully received

dylan.winter@virgin.net

TSB240

Visit site
thanks for that

Not sure if I will be in a position to choose although I will be releasing a lot of great storage space when the engine and fuel tank gets thrown out

dylan.winter@virgin.net

Not sure about practicality of this but how about retaining it and converting it to store petrol?

One of the things I find with using a 9.8 hp engine is our fuel consumption is a problem on longer trips. We like to always carry sufficient fuel to motor all the way on our longest passage.

25 litre Ob tank plus a couple of gallon tanks for picking up fuel in car or on foot gives you 35 litres or 7 hours of motoring in our case.

Our boat can cover 40 miles in average conditions before we run out of fuel.

I would reckon on halving that if fighting wind and tide for any length of time.

You might want to hang on to the tank Dylan to give you a bigger margin of safety or range.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
My last boat had a 20gal diesel tank. That gave me 60hrs motoring time which was a bit excessive for my type of cruising. Most? cruisers have enough fuel for 36hrs which is reasonable if you are caught out in a storm and not able to make a safe port. 40 miles range in average conditions is cutting it much too fine IMO.

TSB240

Visit site
My last boat had a 20gal diesel tank. That gave me 60hrs motoring time which was a bit excessive for my type of cruising. Most? cruisers have enough fuel for 36hrs which is reasonable if you are caught out in a storm and not able to make a safe port. 40 miles range in average conditions is cutting it much too fine IMO.

Welcome to the world of OB cruisers. I think Dylan and I come from a different angle to most cruising which involves finding safe haven with at least 2 meters of Oggin to stop in.
Our chosen passages can be a lot shorter and end up on firm ground at low tide.:)
My longest passage to date has been to the IOM from Anglesey. I am not sure which was the higher risk running out of fuel in a storm or blowing up whilst carrying 60 litres of unused fuel all the way there and back:eek:

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
There is nowhere safe to stow petrol on a Centaur.

There is no anchor locker up front.

The cockpit locker has holes in it and they drain into the bilge.

The cockpit drains are flooded and heavy vapours will collect in the cockpit.

I don't have gas aboard but many do, I presume with proper gas lockers.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Welcome to the world of OB cruisers. I think Dylan and I come from a different angle to most cruising which involves finding safe haven with at least 2 meters of Oggin to stop in.
Our chosen passages can be a lot shorter and end up on firm ground at low tide.:)
My longest passage to date has been to the IOM from Anglesey. I am not sure which was the higher risk running out of fuel in a storm or blowing up whilst carrying 60 litres of unused fuel all the way there and back:eek:
That's one of the reasons why I prefer a diesel engine. Reliable, economical, safe.