When to check in

blxm

Visit site
We are planning to sail direct from Montenegro to Corfu. It’s an overnight trip and I was wondering “if” we need to have a stop for any unforeseen events do we need to check in to Albania if we don’t go ashore and just anchor off in a quiet spot?
Not entirely sure of the regulations on that.

Lucy52

Visit site
I believe that when you put your hook down in territorial waters you "enter" the country. Someone may be along soon to correct me. Not that you are necessarily going to be caught.

macd

Visit site
I believe that when you put your hook down in territorial waters you "enter" the country. Someone may be along soon to correct me. Not that you are necessarily going to be caught.

I doubt anyone's going to correct you ;)
Innocent passage ends when you anchor or moor. In the words of the relevant law, to qualify as innocent, "passage shall be continuous and expeditious".

Sometimes I'm amazed by the naivety (or is it casual entitlement?) of questions such as this. The OP would be in the same position as a boat-full of, say, Syrians, dropping the hook off Herne Bay.

Rant over, this is from Noonsite, dated April 2018:
"You may be approached by an Italian coastguard vessel when nearing the coast, as they patrol this area of the sea. If close to Albanian territorial waters, Channel 11 should be monitored as it is the working channel used by the Albanian Coast Guard.
We have had reports from cruisers who have had to anchor overnight (for various reasons) in bays in Albania on that passage, and other than having their papers checked by the authorities, were left alone as long as they didn't go ashore (of course experiences vary and others have been made to check in at the closest port of entry).
Get familiar with the entry procedures for Albania here on noonsite before doing the passage should you need to stop for any reason. Most ports require you use an agent so do your homework in advance and you shouldn't have any problems."

Last edited:

blxm

Visit site
I doubt anyone's going to correct you ;)
Innocent passage ends when you anchor or moor. In the words of the relevant law, to qualify as innocent, "passage shall be continuous and expeditious".

Sometimes I'm amazed by the naivety (or is it casual entitlement?) of questions such as this. The OP would be in the same position as a boat-full of, say, Syrians, dropping the hook off Herne Bay.

I am neither naive nor do I feel ‘casually entitled’ to do as I please. I am ignorant of some facts. My post was attempting to enlighten my lack of knowledge from those with more experience.
A more helpful, and less insulting, response would be to provide some information so I am less ignorant of the facts rather than comparing my position to a boat-full of Syrians droppings hook of Herne Bay.

blxm

Visit site

Thank you. It would only be for an unexpected event. Emergency repairs for example so no intention of going ashore. I suspect the ‘q’ flag would mitigate to some extent.

Caladh

Visit site
You are going to be hard pushed to find anywhere to just drop the hook along the Albanian coast!
I know people have done it in extremis and the local police/army/navy came along and although the weather was bad it was difficult to try and persuade them otherwise. Try and visit Sarande before going in to Corfu though. It's a great place to visit.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We are planning to sail direct from Montenegro to Corfu. It’s an overnight trip and I was wondering “if” we need to have a stop for any unforeseen events do we need to check in to Albania if we don’t go ashore and just anchor off in a quiet spot?
Not entirely sure of the regulations on that.

It's an enjoyable trip with plenty of dolphins to keep you entertained .... but watch out for the large Albanian fishing vessels in the middle of the night. :ambivalence:

The fact is that if you did have to venture into shallower waters to anchor for a while, you will not be anywhere near a customs/PP office anyway so clearing in would be impossible. Most of that coastline looks uninhabited to me so I think that there is little chance of a visit from any marine officials. If there were, you would just have to be friendly and blag it. :)

Richard

blxm

Visit site
You are going to be hard pushed to find anywhere to just drop the hook along the Albanian coast!
I know people have done it in extremis and the local police/army/navy came along and although the weather was bad it was difficult to try and persuade them otherwise. Try and visit Sarande before going in to Corfu though. It's a great place to visit.

I’ll add it to the wish list. We are now thinking we will take a bit more time and go to a few places in Albania. Not in any particular hurry.

blxm

Visit site
Rant over, this is from Noonsite, dated April 2018:
"You may be approached by an Italian coastguard vessel when nearing the coast, as they patrol this area of the sea. If close to Albanian territorial waters, Channel 11 should be monitored as it is the working channel used by the Albanian Coast Guard.
We have had reports from cruisers who have had to anchor overnight (for various reasons) in bays in Albania on that passage, and other than having their papers checked by the authorities, were left alone as long as they didn't go ashore (of course experiences vary and others have been made to check in at the closest port of entry).
Get familiar with the entry procedures for Albania here on noonsite before doing the passage should you need to stop for any reason. Most ports require you use an agent so do your homework in advance and you shouldn't have any problems."

Thank you.
I’ll check it out.

blxm

Visit site
It's an enjoyable trip with plenty of dolphins to keep you entertained .... but watch out for the large Albanian fishing vessels in the middle of the night. :ambivalence:

The fact is that if you did have to venture into shallower waters to anchor for a while, you will not be anywhere near a customs/PP office anyway so clearing in would be impossible. Most of that coastline looks uninhabited to me so I think that there is little chance of a visit from any marine officials. If there were, you would just have to be friendly and blag it. :)

Richard

Always smile ?

Cariadco

Visit site
I'm not too convinced about stopping in Albania.
Don't you need to have arranged an Agent, beforehand?
Last weekend, we had a Regatta, running from Kassiopi (Corfu) down to Corfu Fort. The Fleet split into two, one gang stayed close to Corfu coast, and the others (including myself) hugged the Albania Coastline. Just as the wind died, an Albanian Coast Guard Rib bombed upto all of us (near Albania), and one by one we were shouted at, and clearly instructed to 'Go Away' We (eventually) tacked and faced back towards Corfu, and the Rib buggered off.
Sorry, but not too keen to go there.

AndrewB

Visit site
... Just as the wind died, an Albanian Coast Guard Rib bombed upto all of us (near Albania), and one by one we were shouted at, and clearly instructed to 'Go Away' We (eventually) tacked and faced back towards Corfu, and the Rib buggered off.
Sorry, but not too keen to go there.
Is this really unreasonable, though? Doesn't any country have the right to be suspicious of unknown, foreign boats without permission that have not announced their presence coming close in to shore? The Albanians don't usually bother Corfu yachts in their waters if they keep well off.

Specially if they do so furtively or at night. For this reason I think RichardS's advice above is a recipe for trouble, not just in Albania but even in countries that are not generally suspicious. If one is sailing past such a country and for some reason obliged to stop, then you should do so in the most conspicuous manner possible, calling regularly on Ch 16 and heading for a port with a security post, not anchoring in a remote bay. Few countries are entirely hostile to those in genuine difficulties even if they are anti tourism: I've known people who have put in at Saudi Arabia, Mauritania, Sudan; also Algeria and Albania in the past; and have been treated decently if sent on their way fairly quickly.

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Is this really unreasonable, though? Doesn't any country have the right to be suspicious of unknown, foreign boats without permission that have not announced their presence coming close in to shore? The Albanians don't usually bother Corfu yachts in their waters if they keep well off.

Specially if they do so furtively or at night. For this reason I think RichardS's advice above is a recipe for trouble, not just in Albania but even in countries that are not generally suspicious. If one is sailing past such a country and for some reason obliged to stop, then you should do so in the most conspicuous manner possible, calling regularly on Ch 16 and heading for a port with a security post, not anchoring in a remote bay. Few countries are entirely hostile to those in genuine difficulties even if they are anti tourism: I've known people who have put in at Saudi Arabia, Mauritania, Sudan; also Algeria and Albania in the past; and have been treated decently if sent on their way fairly quickly.

I'm assuming that the OP is having some kind of emergency, e.g boat sinking, which requires him to get into shallow water asap and certainly won't have time to sail the extra dozens of miles needed to find a port of entry on that barren coastline.

If it's not such an emergency why would be deviate all that way from his course? Surely he would either fix the problem whilst in deep water (the sea is warm) or just carry on to his destination?

I've not suggested that he should be inconspicuous, furtive or behave in a secretive manner. It's just that, in practice, I doubt whether he will see anyone or find anyone in VHF range. :)

Richard

Last edited:

crashtack

Visit site
Dont even bother going. It's a hole and the Administration is a nightmare. You will end up paying fines, bribes and any number of other fees for whatever they decide upon on the day. Avoid it at all costs. No pun intended.

truscott

Visit site
Lots of suggestions from folk who don't seem to have stopped in along the Albanian coast.

Coming from Montenegro, Durres is actually quite an interesting stop with a half decent roman amphitheater, lots of romam ruins and a nice little antiquities museum. Also quite a number of decent bistros with great food and wine at really great prices (we especially liked the one just outside the port with the roman wall running through it). The flip side is that clearing in can be expensive and the portfees are midnight to midnight (plus the area you moor up in is kind of run fown). Checking in at 6pm with 6am clear out , port fees and agents fees was Eur 80 for our 12mtrs (3 course dinner with 2 bottles of wine for 2 people was 27 Euro and worthy of a good restaurant in Auckland or Sydney, so was more attractivethan sailing on). All the port staff and agents are very friendly. No need to arrange an agent in advance as they will turn up pretty soon after you moor up. You could probably do the process yourself but not everyone speaks english and the forms are not in English anyway, so filling them out could be a bit of a punt.

You are actually checking in and out of every port, complete with passport control, so the stops you make along the way between official ports of entry are overlooked.

There's a great spot on the western side of Vlores bay on the way down to the Marina (which we wouldn't bother visiting again) and a few spots on the way to Sarande. Palermos has Ali Pasha's castle built for his Christian wife, a decrepit communist era wharf and an ok restaurant on the hill with good fare and great raki! Last trip we stopped in for the night and continued to Corfu but I would also recommend a stop at Sarande just to visit Butrint an ancient Roman city that lies opposite Corfu. Mussels are farmed here in huge numbers and the various eateries around the area know how to serve them whatever way you wish. The beer is not bad and as mentioned before, they do have some nice wines (and a lot of awful ones too).

So, it's not the prettiest of places to cruise but is far nicer than some of the other 'mainstream' spots that are on most people's bucket lists.

Just my thoughts of course.
Cheers, PT

blxm

Visit site
Lots of suggestions from folk who don't seem to have stopped in along the Albanian coast.

Coming from Montenegro, Durres is actually quite an interesting stop with a half decent roman amphitheater, lots of romam ruins and a nice little antiquities museum. Also quite a number of decent bistros with great food and wine at really great prices (we especially liked the one just outside the port with the roman wall running through it). The flip side is that clearing in can be expensive and the portfees are midnight to midnight (plus the area you moor up in is kind of run fown). Checking in at 6pm with 6am clear out , port fees and agents fees was Eur 80 for our 12mtrs (3 course dinner with 2 bottles of wine for 2 people was 27 Euro and worthy of a good restaurant in Auckland or Sydney, so was more attractivethan sailing on). All the port staff and agents are very friendly. No need to arrange an agent in advance as they will turn up pretty soon after you moor up. You could probably do the process yourself but not everyone speaks english and the forms are not in English anyway, so filling them out could be a bit of a punt.

You are actually checking in and out of every port, complete with passport control, so the stops you make along the way between official ports of entry are overlooked.

There's a great spot on the western side of Vlores bay on the way down to the Marina (which we wouldn't bother visiting again) and a few spots on the way to Sarande. Palermos has Ali Pasha's castle built for his Christian wife, a decrepit communist era wharf and an ok restaurant on the hill with good fare and great raki! Last trip we stopped in for the night and continued to Corfu but I would also recommend a stop at Sarande just to visit Butrint an ancient Roman city that lies opposite Corfu. Mussels are farmed here in huge numbers and the various eateries around the area know how to serve them whatever way you wish. The beer is not bad and as mentioned before, they do have some nice wines (and a lot of awful ones too).

So, it's not the prettiest of places to cruise but is far nicer than some of the other 'mainstream' spots that are on most people's bucket lists.

Just my thoughts of course.
Cheers, PT

Thanks. That’s really helpful!