When do you lay your boat up for winter?

maby

Visit site
Ours stays in the water all year round and we sail as much in winter as in summer. There's quite an active winter sailing community on the Medway and we are seldom alone. There's an informally organised Boxing Day Race for cruisers most years which gives us a chance to work off the excesses of christmas day.

Actually, this winter we will probably be living permanently on the boat - we have a contract coming up close to the marina and it will be more convenient than staying in a hotel.

Ian45

Visit site
Just looking back at my post stating my garden looks like Steptoes yard may give the impression the attached photo is ACTUALLY my garden. Well I would like to state that it isn't, it was just a bit of visual fun to go along with the text :)

SWMBO would NOT be impressed if people thought it was our garden!

I just looked at lock closures for the winter and it would seem that we have a reasonable area to cruise from our marina so it's looking like it's gonna stay in for most of it :)

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
New Year on the boat down in London: great experience. You can get some great day's cruising when its bright and sunny. I've also been up on the bridge, well wrapped in scarf and sweater, with my father, when a sudden snowstorm hit and we could not see the bow.
"Its turning into a different kind of war Number One" caused helpless mirth from both of us and I almost rammed Hampton wharf!

Sulley

Visit site
Following on from Ian's post I am trying to decide what to do with our boat this winter. I have acumulated a tube heater and dehumidifier from my Dad but I think I might need something extra to heat the cabin, does anyone have any recomendations?

I think we may have her lifted for a short time just to make sure her bottom is ok and it will enable me to polish the hull with out the other half panicking I'm going to electrocute myself by dropping the electric polisher! She was imaculate when we brought her so I am trying to keep her that way.

I'm looking forward to some winter days on the water just need to wear the right clothes :)

SimonA

Visit site
The only time I ever had a problem caused by freezing was when I had the boat out over winter. Despite my best attempts I'd left some water in the shower mixer which froze and broke the mixer.

This year will be in the water like last year, tube heater under the engine, domestic water drained down. Just hope the marina isn't frozen solid on sunny days.

Ian45

Visit site
Following on from Ian's post I am trying to decide what to do with our boat this winter. I have acumulated a tube heater and dehumidifier from my Dad but I think I might need something extra to heat the cabin, does anyone have any recomendations?

I think we may have her lifted for a short time just to make sure her bottom is ok and it will enable me to polish the hull with out the other half panicking I'm going to electrocute myself by dropping the electric polisher! She was imaculate when we brought her so I am trying to keep her that way.

I'm looking forward to some winter days on the water just need to wear the right clothes :)

Simones I think your decision is the way to go for us as well. Want to get as much time on the river as possible.

I haven't used our new polisher yet but if our boat is in the water when I do should I worry if my better half shows no sign of panic? She could be hoping to claim the life insurance...no, surely not, but then again.......

riverraft

Visit site
lay up for winter

having just acquired my (new) boat, done all, the paper work and found the fuel pontoon. i hope we can get a number of weeks ?? days on the river. then walk into the chandlery and found the notice stating that locks will be closed from the d1st of NOV. so boat can come out and have all the things that need fixing fixed. then start again next year. but will still sit in boat waiting for spring
lol

Sulley

Visit site
Ian, I think Tracey's been checking the insurance! Sanna's nickname is the safety Swede so everything has to have extra caution!

We look like we are reasonably ok with the lock closures so we won't be shut in like you were last year.

I'm looking forward to it especially as the leaves are starting to change...

Ian45

Visit site
Ian, I think Tracey's been checking the insurance!

Ha! So THAT'S why I saw Tracy going through the home filing draw the other day!!

Haven't been out on the boat since the forum meet up Simone, and unlikely to get out for another couple of weeks due to work commitments. Getting serious withdrawal symptoms. I need my 'Thames fix'.

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
Why do people take their boats out of the water in winter? We always keep ours in, and go sailing! You get some really lovely sailing days throughout the autumn winter and spring. In fact, better than the summer........... what summer?

Sulley

Visit site
Ian, we haven't been out since the forum meet either, I know what you mean about withdrawl symptons! Hope to go out this weekend....

AllanJ

Visit site
The only time I ever had a problem caused by freezing was when I had the boat out over winter. Despite my best attempts I'd left some water in the shower mixer which froze and broke the mixer.

This year will be in the water like last year, tube heater under the engine, domestic water drained down. Just hope the marina isn't frozen solid on sunny days.

More from laziness than anything else, I have no heating in the boat when it is not in use. I keep the water and diesel tanks full(ish). We are in Largs Marina and had extended periods of serious cold last year (-19C). I have had no problems. Boat is a Sealine F33.
I think that much will depend on the positioning of all of the components in the boat as to whether freezing will be a problem. The air temperature just going below is clearly not sufficient of itself (as you would expect from the physics of freezing - especially water).