What's your longest time living up a ladder?

GHA

Visit site
Found some nasty rusty bits hidden away so major big boy refit time I reckon. 35 yer old boat so time for a big one. Wouldn't be surprised if it strung out to a year with a little work thrown in to pay for it all.
Strangely very excited and positive about it :cool:

So what's your longest time living up a ladder in a boatyard?

OldBawley

Visit site
One and a half month. Preparing and coating with Coppercoat.
Since I hate living in chains I had chosen the yard that pleased me most. In the middle of nature, a very small Greek small boat “Carnaye”. Had to chase the chickens and sheep from under the boat each morning. Some cats, a watch dog on a chain and stone or three martens.
Almost no noise, no dust, At best two old man working with hand tools. ( Me and some other grey )

I liked the place so well, sometimes I fantasise putting the boat on land there, keel buried, and live my last years there.

Still, after all that time crawling through gravel and sheep grease ( To grease the boat sledges ) I started looking more and more like Golem so was glad to be floating again.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For that length of time I suggest very seriously that you look at installing a proper set of stairs instead of a ladder. A boat being extensively worked upon at a local yard has one and it makes life so much easier for the occupants.

GHA

Visit site
For that length of time I suggest very seriously that you look at installing a proper set of stairs instead of a ladder. A boat being extensively worked upon at a local yard has one and it makes life so much easier for the occupants.

Good point. Though after a lifetime working at height running up and down a ladder is completely natural. But in general spending some time on sorting out access is time well spent. So many factors involved around location as well, helps having a diy shop nearby for consumables, good weather, a good market for fresh food, some nature like OldB said, some social life.

And above all a positive attitude against all the odds.... ;)

An awful lot of people just aren't cut out to be cruisers like us lot :cool:

jeanne

Visit site
Good point. Though after a lifetime working at height running up and down a ladder is completely natural. But in general spending some time on sorting out access is time well spent. So many factors involved around location as well, helps having a diy shop nearby for consumables, good weather, a good market for fresh food, some nature like OldB said, some social life.

And above all a positive attitude against all the odds.... ;)

An awful lot of people just aren't cut out to be cruisers like us lot :cool:

ccscott49

Visit site
Even if only out of the water for two three months, I always build some steps to access boat, so much easier to carry stuff on and off, longest I havae lived like that was seven months, overwinter in Dartmouth, or rather dartside quay as its called now.

GHA

Visit site
If you want the record for living up a ladder in a boatyard, you have to come to Bruce´s yard on the Algarve, or maybe Port Gelves in Spain. I would guess that ten years is not enough for first prize.

Have a guess of the boatyard based on this lunchtimes light refreshment :)

Be nicer up the river but never mind, work needs to be done.

a year is nothing in this yard ;)

WlLScCK.png

Skylark

Visit site
Good point. Though after a lifetime working at height running up and down a ladder is completely natural.

I can’t claim a lifetime running up and down a ladder but I am (was) very comfortable using one and have done so in a boat yard for many years.

My boat was lifted a few weeks ago and I fell of the ladder getting off. Absolutely no idea how I did it.

After 2 days the pain was becoming unbearable and I started to pee blood so had to go to A&E. They took it very seriously and I had X-rays and a CT scan and a camera through the urethra to examine my bladder. Cracked a few ribs and bruised muscles and organs.

For several weeks I could not sleep in a bed as I couldn’t lie on my sides. Had to sleep, uncomfortably, in an arm chair at home. Salutary lesson.