What's your limit?

snowleopard

Visit site
What\'s your limit?

When i'm cruising I don't like to be uncomfortable so I set an upper limit of F4 ahead or F6 behind when setting out.

What's your limit?

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatless

Visit site
Re: What\'s your limit?

If I've got the kids, same as yours in England if it's cold, maybe F6 if it's a nice day. In Greece, not much more than F6 upwind if it's more than a few miles.

You have to admit that sunshine does seem to knock at least 1 Beaufort off the true speed.

<hr width=100% size=1>my opinion is complete rubbish, probably.

jimi

Visit site

With me its more of guestimate of the likely seastate that's an issue. So if on a beat, I'd want the tide with me so it would probably be wind over tide, cross tide it might well be different.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StugeronSteve

Visit site

It really depends where we are going, what direction the wind is coming from (ie. what sea state to expect and how long it has been blowing. Generally though, if with swmbo, no F6 or above, unless reaching or running.

<hr width=100% size=1>Semper Bufo

dralex

Visit site

Really depends how far I'm going, sea state and point of sail. Very happy in a force 4 on all points, force 5 is genuine fun. I enjoy strong winds and being reefed and find the boat often feels happy and settled as long as there is not too much chop. The strength of the wind does not bother me too much as long as I can get a comfortable sail area and there are no nasty weather warnings. Saying all that, wouldn't usually set out in more than a 5.

<hr width=100% size=1>Life's too short- do it now.

ChrisJ

Visit site

First day of the season?? About force 2.
Middle of the season, when I need to get somewhere particular? About force 6.
With kids who need to be entertained? About force 3.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site

Generally I would agree but it depends on the sea too, an offshore wind being different to an onshore one as again is wind against tide or with tide. I have always quite enjoyed heavy weather even upwind but the length of time I enjoy it for has reduced considerably over the years! When SWMBO did her YM shorebased course she had a question relating to a decision needed, having had a revised forecast for a proposed trip Needles to Cherbourg upwind in SW5 increasing 6-7 perhaps 8 for a time - would she continue? She answered ''yes'' to the instructor's dismay and added ''well we have done it it quite often''. I took a lot of stick for that.

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site

I think a lot is based on what is happening next. I will set out in a F6 but if the following 24hrs for example is giving 7-8 I wont, if remaining the same or say backing to 4-5 I will.

Knowing the British weather if they say F6 today increasing 7-8 tomorrow, it will be 7-8 by tonight maybe sooner.

F6 is I guess the top of what I will leave into in the Irish Sea, I think it would be different in the more sheltered Solent and maybe different again if that was on-shore in the North Sea. Is all relative init.

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk

Depends on seas state and weather. We're happy in just about anything in sheltered waters but not so in open water from about a 6 to set off in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site

It's not an easy question to answer as it depends on lots of varying factors. If I'm in the relative shelter of the Solent, I'll cope with F8, but if it's on the nose and wind against tide then I'd rather not thank you very much. Cross channel a F6 on the beam or astern is fine as long as the forecast isn't for an increasing wind. If it is I'll stay put.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site

While I agree with you as far as it goes, I think it also depends who you have with you. I am quite happy in a top end 6 on my own, although will probably motorsail to windward, cause my old autohelm isnt up to close hauled, but would go higher with experienced crew.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

About the same for us, depending on crew. My 15 year old nephew and friend seriously enjoyed a good punch to windward F8 Solent - wicked, I gather. I might have stayed in the bar left to my own devices!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site

Different place so different reasons (like alot of wind!) but we generally go for Force 7 to low end Force 8 if ahead and Force 8 behind. Modified according to geographic wind direction and its duration beforehand as big seas develop around here with Southerlies, but not so big with Northerlies. We also have a boat designed and built for the conditions.

Having said that, if we have time on our side we will always wait for more comfortable and favourable conditions. However, our last voyage to a set destination (around 130 nm) in April, when we had to set out to meet a schedule, was forecast to be and was F7 to low F8 dead ahead for all but the last 15 nm or so. We regularly have F8 downhill rides.

On top of that am always very wary setting out if deteriorating conditions are forecast due to the risk of it turning out worse than forecast (similar to Julian's point that).

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site

With weather patterns changing so quickly, I am perfectly happy to let a F5 beat pass if it looks that there is an off-chance of it increasing, and setting out later with more clement weather.

It really also depends where I'm sailing. F5-6 on the Clyde is a whole different ball game to F5-6 in the Minch.

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site

It depends a bit on the Seastate but I would never set out in F8 (except for a short hop in the Solent). F7 is marginal - there would need to be a good reason not to go down to the pub instead. At F6 we might still consider changing our plans if we weren't in a hurry.

Having said that, some of my most enjoyable sails are when I've set out in conditions I considered marginal and the wind has picked up - so perhaps I am naturally too conservative?

<hr width=100% size=1>