what's your boat worth?

G

what\'s your boat worth?

At the risk of being bodily thrown out of the forum (impossible, surely?) for asking a semi-serious question, but does anyone have any comments on the subject of boat value depreciation? Perhaps you've been horrified / delighted / mildly impressed with what you've recently sold your boat for? If buying, are you surprised by the level of value retention in the used boat market? Particularly interested to hear from someone with an exceptional story ("my boat couldn't sell for 10 years" or "I MADE money on my Bayliner", for example). All comments welcome.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on Fri Jan 25 18:27:18 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: what\'s your boat worth?

Both my first boat Princess 32 & then my second boat (both bought within the last 18 months) had acrued
in value since original purchase. The Princess 1972 some £k more then the purchase price in 72. The Broom
some £9-10 k Both boats I think have topped out now. It seems that certain boats due acrue for some years.

cneighbour

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Rule No 1 is that every boat is a bad investment just that some are worse than others. New boats are like new cars in that the minute you potter out of the marina for the first time they're worth a whole lot less so reckon on 10-25% depreciation in the first year depending on whether you've bought wisely or not. Wise would be a diesel powered boat with a long waiting list at the start of it's model life; unwise would be a petrol powered boat that nobody's heard of at the end of it's model life.
Thereafter, depreciation tails off until around 5 yrs for most boats when the market seems to decide what that particular boat's worth and values level off sustained by the ever increasing price of new boats
If you want to minimize depreciation on a secondhand boat, then buy a popular model from a well known manufacturer preferably with the biggest engine option and then look after it
The only thing which disturbs this equilibrium is a stonking good recession when the occasional bargain is to be found

oldgit

Visit site

Agree with every word of above post.There are NO bargains to be had with any popular shaft/diesel at the moment and even the leg/petrol no hopers prefer to let the boat quietly sink rather than sell.

bernard_foster

Visit site
I disagree with Deleted User

My boat was was about to be scrapped when i took her over, she is a modest 22' and a bit tatty now. But also at the time my brother was dying of cancer, and "sea queen" created an escape from the harsh reality of life. but some £4000 to £5000 later, she has transormed from a wreck, to looking a bit tatty, do not know what she is worth in money, but the sentimental side is priceless. do you not think too much emphasis is put on material value nowadays?

tripleace

Visit site

Regal 233 purcahsed in 1995 21k sold similar figure 18 months latter.

Boats over 2 year plus old seem to retain a resell figure. its the 8% to brokers which hits. the money which changes hands is IMHO similar. that is condition remains constant.

My sealine 365, currently up for sale, shoud return something close to the value I paid for it and about 50% of cost of the changes and improvement I have made. But thats boating.

www.cleverdic.co.uk

byron

RIP
Visit site

Your Crown will always fetch good money. It is in my opinion the smartest looking motor cruiser ever. I am certain if they were still built today they would sell because they have never dated and look better today than ever. The interior is roomy and comfortable, the hull a proven design, the decks and command bridge a delight. If I had one criticism it would be that they are 'wet' but! hey! so is a Nelson and who would argue their sea keeping ability.

ô¿ô

byron

RIP
Visit site

Your Dad made a few bob when he sold a couple of months back. Maybe he should start a Night School and we can all go and get lessons from him ;-)

ô¿ô

G

Re: Byron /Crown

Hi Byron thanks for the comps on the Crown, I am inclined to agree in that she still looks good today
The main cabin despite the inner helm, is one of the roomiest I have seen on a cruiser,you could
have disco in there.

I boarded a Sealine F46 (one with aft cabin) recently and it did not seem to have any more
main cabin room than mine. Partly due I think to the massive amount of room taken up by the huge
inner helm position, and of course the dinnette. On the Crwon I do not miss a Dinette, as we have a
good size table in the lounge in front on settee, plus a seperate chair. Quite frankly
the amount of times one sits around with 3-4 other people for a full meal on a boat are minimal.
In the summer on the Thames we eat on aft deck, or go into town.
Finally when you refer to them still selling if still built today, interestingly the only reason this model
was dropped in 1982, is cos Perkins stopped making the horizontal engines HT6354's. Regards CGN

cneighbour

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Byron /Crown

They built some with Volvos !!!
I agree with the space in the saloon, there's as much if not more there than in my Princess 435.

ô¿ô

rodbin

Visit site

I am in the dreaded two boat synedrome (wish this had spell cheque!) I have my new boat and trying to sell my old one First indicated value by the professionals 115k now down to 99k and considering offers. I used to wonder at the apathy of boat salesmen now I understand. Some people just seem to want to dream about owning a boat, wind you up and then just when you think you have a deal they suddenly are unable to answer calls and simply disappear they seem to think that they are going to loose credibility if they simply say I am not interested or can't afford it.

KevB

Visit site

Not so true on the petrol boat bit, I bought a twin 5ltr petrol boat, (a Tiara S2, very unheard of) had it for 7 mths and sold it for 10k more than I had paid. true I spent 5k on an LPG conversion but still mad a healthy profit.

tripleace

Visit site

its called luck.

Every time he treads in something, its not what you and I have to wipe off, its normally money.

Yes his Broom 33 sold at a VERY similar figure to the purchase price. We are told that the value was down to the polish and condition of the boat. Obviously those near us who gave him all that grief about a dirty boat paid off!!!!!

I wish you had seen mums face when you posted that message last year! Fabulous. we still laugh about that.

byron

RIP
Visit site

I still haven't popped down to the boat to see what 'commission' your dad has left in the locker for me.

ô¿ô

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Congratulations. There are always exceptions but my point was about buying new petrol boats of uncertain provenance

Scubadoo

Visit site

Altought I tend to agree with you, however I purchased a new Sealine S24 about 2.5years ago and recently been told it could be worth £5k more than I paid for it, it is a diesel which helps.

RM.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Is that as a trade-in or a straight sale? If the former, I can understand. Interesting to see Sealine's offer at the LBS on their new S23(?) to p/x it against a bigger boat in a couple of years for the same value as its purchase price less options. The boat industry could do with more marketing ideas like that

Scubadoo

Visit site

I think more a trade-in for a S28, interesting that they offered a potential £5k more for my S24 and again a potential £5k off a used S28 (a possible saving of £10k). It almost worked I nearly upgraded, I think this is where Sealine do well and sell more boats.

The new S23, well that is exactly the same offer I had when a purchased then a new S24 - two half years ago, P/X offering the full purchased price paid on my S24 (accept now they offered £5k more!).

Also the new S23 is £5k less than the new price of the S24 it replaces (diesel), not bad it's pity others don't follow.

Well done Sealine, gets more people boating.

RM.