What's wrong with this advertisement?

dancrane

Visit site
It seems to be a pretty good piece of kit...a 12.5kw Honda diesel 'silent' generator, said to be "brand new". What would you expect to pay for that? So would I...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/b...-generator-three-phase-07766377619/1036992789

Why's this so cheap? Is it actually made by Kia, with 'Honda' printed on as an afterthought? Or is it maybe 1.25kw, not 12.5? Or might the seller be a bit shady?

I didn't know Honda made a diesel genset of that size. I can't see a model number anywhere on it, either. Looks odd to me.

Bilgediver

Visit site

dancrane

Visit site
Sorry chaps, I'm not sure what nature of mischief has taken place here. Plainly this Honda isn't a Honda...but it also isn't 12.5kw?

Regardless of how good & reliable the generator is mechanically (whatever its rating), how trustworthy can the seller be if both the manufacturer & output are shrouded in mystery?

claudio

Visit site
Be careful with Chinese specs, most of the time they quote MAX not continuous, when the ad says it can run for 12 hours continuous, it doesn't neccesarrily mean at rated power, in fact it does not mention at what power, it could mean at idle.

Funny specs to be taken with a pinch of salt

• Type: 4 stroke, single cylinder, air cooled, direct injection diesel engine
• Max power (kW/rpm): 12.5

Single cylinder = Very Noisy
Max power - ask what continuous power is, I would guess around 2-3kw if lucky

16 litre tank, so at 12.5Kw how many hours does that last ?

dancrane

Visit site
Hmm...one wonders why legitimate British mechanics would advertise a product with a false, borrowed name, and include in the description blatant untruths about its output.

rob2

Visit site
I can't see the justification for claiming a "Elf'n Safety" risk...? It is quite normal for a product containing a Honda engine to have the Honda name on the casing and I assume this is what this is. The fact that the seller has cut and paste the less than helpful spec from the manufacturer is unfortunate, but doesn't neccessarily reflect too badly on the actual product. That said, I don't think my dinghy will get 170kg of gennie out to the mooring...

Rob.