What's the life expectancy of Numax sealed batteries?

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
My boat has two Numax XV31MF 110Ah sealed batteries which are now 7 years old. The alternator is a Lucas A127 which charges at 14.4 amps. There is no smart regulator fitted and the batteries are connected via a 1/2/both switch arrangement.

The batteries are working perfectly at the moment but we are going cruising for a couple of years soon and I don't want them to give up the ghost while we are away. Should I change them before we go?

Cloven

Visit site
I have two of exactly the same batteries, currently also about 7 years old. Although they are OK, or at least were, at the end of last season, I am thinking about changing them now although my situation is a bit less stressful than yours should they give up the ghost. I use these as the domestic bank with a separate starter battery which I changed last season afer 10 years use. Currently a good price from Tayna.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/search/numax Xv31mf

What are you thinking of changing them for? The reason I ask is that Numax class these as dual purpose batteries. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but perhasp could do better if only for domestic.

Last edited:

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
for £160 > 180 just do it
may last lot did 5 yrs & before that it was 7 yrs

my last set of batts were Numax and lasted about 7 years, thy could have carried on a bit longer but were clearly getting towards the end.

for peace of mind while away I would swap out for new. also you may be able to get more capacity now in the same footprint - I did.

sailorman

Visit site
I have two of exactly the same batteries, currently also about 7 years old. Although they are OK, or at least were, at the end of last season, I am thinking about changing them now although my situation is a bit less stressful than yours should they give up the ghost. I use these as the domestic bank with a separate starter battery which I changed last season afer 10 years use. Currently a good price from Tayna.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/search/numax Xv31mf

What are you thinking of changing them for? The reason I ask is that Numax class these as dual purpose batteries. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but perhasp could do better if only for domestic.
These are rebaged batteries all have 31 in the code

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
It's a simple setup, the batteries are used for both engine starting and domestic circuits. When sailing or anchored we turn one battery off to preserve it for engine starting.

I was going to replace them with two more of the same but any alternative suggestions would be welcome.

NickRobinson

Visit site

Plevier

Visit site
What do you mea by "rebadged". Are they not genuine Numax or are Numax something else that has been rebadged? I have seen a very similar battery from Lucas, the LX31MF

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110AH...ne-Range-Motorhome-Caravan-Boat-/190918580386

Lucas stopped producing batteries a long time ago. Manbat who own the Numax name are also the licensees of the Lucas name. I don't know who actually makes batteries for Numax/Lucas. I have no doubt the same batteries appear under other brands too.

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
Battery life depends very much on how much deep cycling they undergo. If you are set up with a smart charger, a 3-step or 4-step mains battery charger and an effective means of charging batteries while sailing, they can last for quite a while.