Whats the difference?

muchy_

Visit site
OK, this has probably been asked a thousand times but here goes,
On my previous post I asked if it would be OK to take my 30ft Broads cruiser on to the sea if I fitted an outboard as a backup engine. It is very stable, more stable than some "Sea boats" that I have been on (its 11.5ft wide) and it is equiped with GPS, echo sounder, VHF etc.
Now the question is, if I really need a "Sea boat" as someone mentioned then what is the difference between a "River boat" and a "Sea boat". And if there is a difference then what, if anything should I do to my boat to make it a "Sea boat"?

I await your answers cos I'm thick as two short planks (must be, I own a boat)

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Draft.

Would say more to do with draft than width, if very shallow bottomed without a keel could be a bit of a pig in any sort of sea.

G

Your boat is very stable because it has a wide "flat" hull with a long keel, this makes it great for calm waters such as the broads. But in the sea where you get swell and waves the same hull becomes very unstable.The width of the hull will make it prone to wallowing and rolling. At sea you need a hull with a more pronounced "V" shape to cut through the waves.

Hope this helps

muchy_

Visit site
Draft and hull shape

The boat has a draft of 3ft and the hull does have quite a pronounced keel all the way along the hull bottom which is a shallow "V". I guess I'll just have to suck it and see.

oddball

Visit site
Well now take it out in very calm seas and you may be ok! if not I will enjoy reading about it in the EDP ! is all your equipment all ok etc

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Draft and hull shape

Take it out on a calm day and see how you get on. It might be Ok or even good. You need much more power on the sea than rivers. If it's got it, no problem. Even some sea boats are not good at sea, so be carfull. The sea can change quicker than you can. You need. Deap V or keel. and Loads of spare pushing power. I did not say Horse power. But in the end. Mumble, mumble, mumble.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
You have very little freeboard in a broads boat, this could be a problem in any kind of sea, you will get a lot of water on deck. Plus all the things the other guys have mentioned. Have you talked to any of the old broads sailing hands around?