What's the best anchor for a man overboard?

dancrane

Visit site
Okay, not a very serious question...although thinking about it, wouldn't there be some benefit in being able to remain at almost exactly the same spot you fell in?

Or will your searchers/rescuers invariably take the tide into account, and be looking for you ever-further from where you are?

I wonder how small and lightweight an anchor could be, to keep a MOB stationary in a four-knot tide?

greenalien

Visit site
It's a good idea to put a drogue anchor on a horseshoe lifebuoy, otherwise it will quickly blow downwind, so get the lifebuoy deployed as close to the casualty as possible and they should stay static in the water. However, they will move with the tide. Rescuers will take wind and tide effects into account when searching. Best bet for a succesful recovery is not to lose touch with the person in the water. Anchoring them to the seabed? Not practical.

dancrane

Visit site
Hang on - you want me to wander around on the boat carrying an anchor, just in case I fall in?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the lack of sincerity I made clear some moments ago.

Maybe a couple of spools of dental floss would make a lightweight, compact line? Amazingly hard to break. Floss itself mayn't be strong enough, but how about 1.5mm Dyneema...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marlow-Dyneema-Throwline-Arborist-Climbing/dp/B005GVGK20

Or, just clip-on with the harness. :rolleyes:

onesea

Visit site
Would not worry to much if the anchor holds against the current make sure your life jacket has all the extra Kn buoyancy you can muster.

The downward pull supplied by holding a person against a reasonable current would be surprisingly large even on a 4 or 5 to one scope...

tugboat

Visit site
What you really need is one of those kedge anchors that flies out some distance before hitting bottom.

In sufficient depth of water you could deploy it, chase after the boat and get back aboard, and no-one would be any the wiser apart from the strange wet patch on the duckboards.

Honestly, I don't know how I come up with this superb stuff.

dancrane

Visit site
Hmm...or maybe, in the collar of every Musto coat sold, there could be a miniature harpoon gun? Fall o/b, catch your breath, orientate towards the yacht, aim and fire at the transom?

Then barefoot-waterski until someone on board notices you back there.

Note to marketing division: make sure all yachting jackets are henceforth lined with harpoon-retardant Kevlar. :rolleyes:

sailorman

Visit site
Okay, not a very serious question...although thinking about it, wouldn't there be some benefit in being able to remain at almost exactly the same spot you fell in?

Or will your searchers/rescuers invariably take the tide into account, and be looking for you ever-further from where you are?

I wonder how small and lightweight an anchor could be, to keep a MOB stationary in a four-knot tide?

Concrete Dubarrys